Chinese Government Says Ubuntu, Windows, and Android Are Not Safe, Launches New OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
The Chinese market has been flooded by Android-based phones, iOS devices, and now even Microsoft is working its way up with Windows Phone. The Chinese government is trying to put a stop to this trend by making its own operating system based on Linux, for phones and tablets.

Breaking away from Google, Apple, and Microsoft might not be so simple, but it seems that the Chinese government is really taking this issue seriously. According to the official announcement, the other operating systems from the companies mentioned above are predisposed to security problems and these issues must be addressed somehow.

The interesting fact is that even Ubuntu has been mentioned among the operating systems with security issues, but not details have been given.

The new operating system will be aptly named China Operating System or COS. It’s being developed by The Chinese Academy of Sciences, The Software Institute, and the Shanghai Alliance Tong Network Communications Technology Co., Ltd.

The new Linux-based operating system intends to feature high-performance native apps, HTML5 applications, and a JAVA virtual machine.

The operating system has been released, but there are no details about the companies who are going to have devices based on COS.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
ZeroDay, I would say, that it's not wise to think that the Chinese government is nice, that's all.

Chinese government is important, but not nice ..

Reactions: ZeroDay

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
News worthy ...Yes
Is anyone going to consider using it........Maybe some in China but probably not.
Does every news story posted spin into a political discussion.....more times than it probably should in a Security forum.
Will some not like the above statement....Possibly

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Im not so sure i would label them important either ..
A nation that owns over a trillion $$ of the US national debt. Rivals the US in every respect with technology. Exceeds US manufacturing capability. Currently challenges the dominance of US military power in the Asia Pacific region. And not considered important? I don't know if that is just bravado, myopia, or just being naïve.
http://bonds.about.com/od/bondinvestingstrategies/a/Chinadebt.htm
http://www.voanews.com/content/report-china-challenging-us-military-preeminence-in-asia/1794602.html

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Guys this is a news story about a Chinese Operating System.:confused:

I

illumination

I'm curious; could you elaborate on that?

I think the post just above yours elaborates well enough. As EX stated though, this is about an operating system, one i highly doubt i will ever try, let alone trust.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
A nation that owns over a trillion $$ of the US national debt. Rivals the US in every respect with technology. Exceeds US manufacturing capability. Currently challenges the dominance of US military power in the Asia Pacific region. And not considered important? I don't know if that is just bravado, myopia, or just being naïve.
http://bonds.about.com/od/bondinvestingstrategies/a/Chinadebt.htm
http://www.voanews.com/content/report-china-challenging-us-military-preeminence-in-asia/1794602.html

OK, you're right, this topic is about new Chinese Operating system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.