Chinese Hackers Bribe Their Way onto Qihoo App Store

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Security researchers have uncovered an ingenious money-making campaign in China in which hackers bribed a mobile gaming company to include malware in among its legitimate apps, ensuring they were whitelisted by a major AV vendor.

Check Point researcher Feixiang He explained that the legit apps, some featuring the trojan malware, were sent to Qihoo 360 for review.

Once whitelisted, the malware could run hidden on any machine protected by the popular free AV software and in the apps now listed on Qihoo’s third-party mobile app store.

The next stage was to steal money from sellers on Taobao – China’s answer to eBay.

“On Taobao.com, buyers initiate purchases by sending a picture of an item to the seller using the Aliwanwang instant messaging app. Money is then exchanged between the buyer and the seller using Alipay, Aliwanwang’s payment platform,” explained He.

“Attackers disguised as Taobao.com buyers sent sellers legitimate photos injected with whitelisted trojans. These sellers then opened the pictures on PCs and became infected because the trojans weren’t detected by Qihoo anti-virus.”

In the final stage of the sophisticated operation, the black hats asked their sellers for a refund on their products, requiring the latter to log-in to their Alipay accounts.

Full Article. Chinese Hackers Bribe Their Way onto Qihoo App Store

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
This is normal and to be expected.

Anybody who trusts any Chinese made product for security is being foolish. Specifically AV, OS, smartphone or equipment made for a Chinese company and so forth.

If you want security and privacy as a typical consumer, Apple. Near complete privacy, some version of Linux with a privacy browser.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has gone in the other direction with Windows 10.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

minegroasprilla

Level 3
Verified
Jun 21, 2014
I am shocked:
"Once whitelisted, the malware could run hidden on any machine protected by the popular free AV software and in the apps now listed on Qihoo’s third-party mobile app store".
"Attackers disguised as Taobao.com buyers sent sellers legitimate photos injected with whitelisted trojans. These sellers then opened the pictures on PCs and became infected because the trojans weren’t detected by Qihoo anti-virus".

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
Now now...Lets not be racist.

But sadly yes, corrupt af much?!??!?!?! Switching to emsisoft again. I don't care.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
You have to realize that this the same country that runs over people to ensure they are dead in vehicle crashes.

All about $$$$$$$ and almost no protection for people, animals or property.

I use Kaspersky and button it down...default setting are not strong enough for me. While Russian, Kaspersky has decades of built up reputation.

However, beside that, I have other 2nd opinion scanners and I think that is what everyone should have. Personally, Malwarebytes, HitmanPro and F-Secure. You can always use VirusTotal for unknown urls or files.

N

Noxx

Putting aside the east vs. west mentality, I've never liked Qihoo. Pretty good AV signatures, but not much else. I also find the fact that their entire security line is 100% free with no apparent catch a little odd (how else to make up for than selling consumer data).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.