Chojo's Security Config

chojo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 2, 2016
Hi,
My Kapersky Total Security is about to expire so I need to think about if I want to renew it or simply go to the free AV route.

One thing to consider is that I have Malwaresbytes (lifetime) installed, so I though that maybe paired with Windows Defender could be a decent option to keep my PC secure.

I'm downloading some torrents, so yes I could grab some viruses one day, but I don't click on everything that look untrusty.

Could Windows Defender do the job paired with Malwarebytes or should I renew Kapersky (+/- 20$ for a year)?

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

If you like Kaspersky then by all means renew it - but Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, Automatic Updates, UAC and Windows SmartScreen is really sufficient as long as you use common sense.

You should download Sandboxie and sandbox your torrent(s).

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Are using w10?
Anyway i think each user has his own opinion. If you go to MS community they say defender in w10 it's enough. Furthermore they say third party av are not fully compatible with w10.
Many other people say absolutely not.

I don't download torrents , I use defender now on w10 ( but used norton for many years), but I would not feel safe without SBIE and other " tricks" like standard account , max UAC, some extensions , auto run disabled, gmail, don't use Adobe reader, don't let flash download something on PC, EMET.

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
I think that with MBAM Pro you just need a light AV with solid web blocking features. You can renew your license of course, but I would rather stick with Panda Free or Avast (Web and Files modules only) or 360TS too (just in-house engines for lightness, with Avira and/or BD engines enabled if you want to be safer).
Sandboxie (as suggested) and a good ad-blocker sure will strenghten your config.
Personally, I don't like defender too much :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A typical user will purchase a suite if he/she finds the trial version is good. But majority can go to free version instead. WD is fine enough sustain your needs and add acomplementary components instead.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Win Defender and MBAM is already good as suggested use Sandboxie and run your torrents, browser, or file from there, and add Zemana Anti-malware for second opinion scanner.

acme

Level 1
Apr 29, 2012
I use WIN 10 with Windows Defender, Windows Firewall with HitmanPro paid and Malwarebytes Premium. Runs smooth, no problem even trolling on X rated sites ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Keep the MBAM Add Sboxie like other have mentioned and VoodooShield, maximum protection minimal impact.
PeAcE

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Personally I download torrents in a VM but at least make use of a Sandbox
There are many good free Security solutions that will provide the same protection as paid
Thanks for sharing your config but as @Huracan stated you need to edit it for the proper format.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.