App Review Christmas Special Test of ThreatFire 4.7 (6 years old behavior blocker!)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Can somebody run this ThreatFire against the RanSim Ransomware Simulator and see how it fairs?

Not good...

Clipboard01.jpg

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I don't think this "simulator" performs malicious "enough" like behavior to provoke ThreatFire. Besides, it's a 6 years old app, the fact it actually detected real ransomware was a bonus of a treat.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't think this "simulator" performs malicious "enough" like behavior to provoke ThreatFire. Besides, it's a 6 years old app, the fact it actually detected real ransomware was a bonus of a treat.

FYI, I tested with CFW and its HIPs detected all the 10 ransomware alerts.

You can view my test results here

KnowBe4’s Ransomware Simulator "RanSim"

Reactions: Behold Eck

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Yeah, but HIPS is dumb. It just says "this happened" and then you have to decide. Behavior blockers do all the deciding for you. And what they alert is in 99% of cases a correct detection.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I used to have Threatfire installed on my old xp machine back in the day.:D I thought that it wad one of the best security software around back then. I miss it. :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.