chrlshlmn Security Configuration

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello :)

Service Pack 1 included?

Gdata total security is already a powerful product with two engines covered, therefore MBAM realtime can be turn off. ;)

Optional suggestion: You may use Foxit Reader or Sumatra PDF as alternative to Adobe Reader. Then add password manager Lastpass for dealing logins and store passwords securely,

Reactions: tonibalas

chrlshlmn

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2013
Hello :)

Service Pack 1 included?

Gdata total security is already a powerful product with two engines covered, therefore MBAM realtime can be turn off. ;)

Optional suggestion: You may use Foxit Reader or Sumatra PDF as alternative to Adobe Reader. Then add password manager Lastpass for dealing logins and store passwords securely,
Yes I do have Service Pack 1 included,Thank you very much

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
chrlshlmn, thank you for sharing your well appointed configuration with all of us.:) It looks very good!
I've not experienced G-data Total Security (yet) but if jamescv7 says it's a powerful product with two engines, I suppose I'd do well to take a closer look!:p:cool: I agree with incorporating LastPass in your arsenal. To use it with Internet Explorer as well as others, you might consider downloading their free universal app., although their available browser extensions are nearly as efficient (you can barely tell the difference).
In I.E.
  1. Click on the Tools sprocket/wheel
  2. Choose >> Internet options
  3. Select, at the top, the 2nd tab from the left >> Security
  4. Beneath the security level slide control, check the box >> Enable Protected Mode
For an extra layer of protection, consider sandboxing your browsers. The free program, Sandboxie, was originally designed to address vulnerabilities in IE, hence the name Sandbox-ie.
Think of it as going out into the wet rain of the internet with rubber boots to keep yourself dry. Accordingly, any settings changes or security updates you wish to retain must be performed outside of the protective sandbox. This protects your system from unwanted changes & maintains they remain only temporarily until they are deleted with the sandbox (like emptying the recycle bin). There is an option with which to recover downloads if desired.;)

If you've any questions about anything, we are all just a PM (personal message) away.
Thanks!:):)

Last edited:

chrlshlmn

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2013
chrlshlmn, thank you for sharing your well appointed configuration with all of us.:) It looks very good!
I've not experienced G-data Total Security (yet) but if jamescv7 says it's a powerful product with two engines, I suppose I'd do well to take a closer look!:p:cool: I agree with incorporating LastPass in your arsenal. To use it with Internet Explorer as well as others, you might consider downloading their free universal app., although their available browser extensions are nearly as efficient (you can barely tell the difference).
In I.E.
  4. Beneath the security level slide control, check the box >> Enable Protected Mode
For an extra layer of protection, consider sandboxing your browsers. The free program, Sandboxie, was originally designed to address vulnerabilities in IE, hence the name Sandbox-ie.
Think of it as going out into the wet rain of the internet with rubber boots to keep yourself dry. Accordningly, any settings or security updates you wish to retain must be performed outside of the protective sandbox. This protects your system from unwanted changes & maintains they remain only temporarily until they are deleted with the sandbox (like emptying the recycle bin). There is an option with which to recover downloads if desired.;)

Any questions about anything, we are all just a PM (personal message) away.

Thank you all very much.I will look into the security options that you mentioned.Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

chrlshlmn

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2013
Chris, how are you ?

Thanks for posting.
Did you move away from ESET ? May i ask what provoked the change to Gdata?
Your setup looks good, i hope the new config is working nicely for you !

Regards
HelloArakasi,I was trying the pros and cons,No I hadn't just moved from ESET.I do like Eset very much,but I was sorta moved by g-data tech support,24-7 yearly.My license are still valid for eset.The response for g-data was very responsive.I do enjoy Eset knowledge base.Just better tech support for the customers.I will never say anything negative about ESET.Thanks for your support and comments.HAPPY NEW YEAR

akshay1189

Level 3
Verified
Dec 6, 2013
In I.E.
Think of it as going out into the wet rain of the internet with rubber boots to keep yourself dry. Accordingly, any settings changes or security updates you wish to retain must be performed outside of the protective sandbox. This protects your system from unwanted changes & maintains they remain only temporarily until they are deleted with the sandbox (like emptying the recycle bin). There is an option with which to recover downloads if desired.;)

If you've any questions about anything, we are all just a PM (personal message) away.

How to register Sandboxie ? Could anyone help in registering Sandboxie lifetime ?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
How to register Sandboxie ? Could anyone help in registering Sandboxie lifetime ?

Well unfortunately you cannot have the license of Sandboxie for lifetime usage due to reason its already discontinued. ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello akshay1189. @jamescv7 is correct. Lifetime licenses for Sandboxie stopped being honored with the creator of Sandboxie's sale of the company to Invincea. There remains, in addition to the free version, a one year paid version.

"The Personal (Home Use) License for Sandboxie:

• Is personal and is not transferable into computers or electronic media that you do not own;
  • Permit you to use Sandboxie on one (1) computer;
  • Covers the current version and all future versions of Sandboxie;
  • Removes the nag screen that initially appears after you have used Sandboxie for more than 30 days;
  • Enables the Forced Programs and Forced Folders features;
  • Allows you to run programs in more than one sandbox at the same time (see message SBIE1303);
  • But does not entitle you to any guaranteed level of technical support.
  • Price excludes VAT for European customers.
  • Price in USD and other currencies varies according to Euro conversion rate. Please enter the online store to see the actual price."
Source: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RegisterSandboxie

Reactions: Ink and yigido

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.