Chrome 14 and 15 to implement proper adblocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=60101#c63

The new API will allow requests to be blocked by extensions. It should be experimental in Chrome 14 (likely when it hits stable) and then ready for Chrome 15.

So about 2-2.5 months.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Google blocking ads? :p Now that's a news...

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
That's good to hear! Now hopefully AdBlock Plus will be just as effective as it is in Firefox. :) Currently it is still a bit crippled due to API limitations.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Yes, it willbe just as effective as in Firefox. Requests will be blocked so ads in videos should be completely removed.

I suppose Google figures that if you install adblock now they still don't make money so they may as well make it work =p

This could also possibly allow for NotScript as well as HTTPS-Everywhere.

It's a very big deal. I don't think anyone expected Google to fully support adblocking.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Haha actually... Chrome may natively block (by default) what can be described as "annoying" ads. That would include loud ads/ ads with gratuitous animations.

That's already patented the idea.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Haha actually... Chrome may natively block (by default) what can be described as "annoying" ads. That would include loud ads/ ads with gratuitous animations.

That's already patented the idea.
I don't think this should be a "enabled by default" option since it could mean that Google will have the power to decide which ads are ok and which aren't ....
I do think that blocking ads it's a job designed for a plugin and the new API should help all the devs out here :)

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
It's unclear what they're planning on doing with that patent. But they have made a clear distinction between good ads and bad.

Peresonally I would not block ads if they were quick to load and did not effect performance, were absolutely silent, and provided no security issues.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Peresonally I would not block ads if they were quick to load and did not effect performance, were absolutely silent, and provided no security issues.

Not me. I block them all, mercilessly.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
HeffeD said:
Because I find all ads intrusive.

That's because most sites decided to go with the flashy advertising ... As a good example I can give you the Facebook ads which are very well thought and don't get in your way and for some users are even interesting (take my girlfriend as expample).

See : Facebook Ads article

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.