chrome and antivirus's

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Why do company's not support google chrome but firefox? The only company i know compatible is Avast

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
darkelixa said:
Why do company's not support google chrome but firefox? The only company i know compatible is Avast

probably because firefox user is lot than chrome users.
and, in my opinion; in future AV company will support web filter or whatever like that for chrome too.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well surely AV Companies are aware and they will add plugin for Chrome. Like Norton Beta (2012) they add an addon for chrome browser.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Chrome and Firefox both hold about 20~% of the market (depends at what studies you look at and for what country/ area but they're very close.)

The reason Chrome is likely not supported by the AV is unclear... not sure what you mean.

A lot of the time it's not that the AV doesn't support Chrome it's just that Chrome doesn't support the AV. For example, spybot S&D can't "immunize" Chrome but that's because Chrome doesn't let it... it's not S&D's fault.

That's just one example. Chrome is VERY closed and the program doesn't like to be messed with.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Was talking to zone alarm support and they said they do not support google chrome nor do they block code injection if you use google chrome browser

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Kaspersky and Norton already fully support Chrome,as months will pass I'm sure every major security developer will start working on the Chrome support.
And if I were a major developer I would immediately start supporting Chrome not just because it's a browser with a good market share but because they just might upset Google...and then the Search Company will make their own Antivirus...which I bet it would be free and awesome:p

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 500

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
If Google were to make security software I doubt it would be an antivirus =p

I think Google believes in programs being built with security in mind from the get-go -- that's Chrome's primary function.

In a month we'll likely see Chrome pass Firefox. Firefox has been on a downward spiral (as is IE) and Chrome has been steadily gaining.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hungry Man said:
In a month we'll likely see Chrome pass Firefox. Firefox has been on a downward spiral (as is IE) and Chrome has been steadily gaining.
:eek:fftopic: The guys from Firefox lack ideas and innovation, they right now are one step back from Chrome and even more they've started copying some Google ideas......... eg: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Future-Firefox-Mockups-Look-Gorgeous-Practical-Pics
If you want to be no.1 you should be original ;)
And the simple fact that their browser is supported by all the major vendors is due to the fact that Firefox is an older release when compared with Chrome.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
darkelixa said:
Norton Internet security 2011 does not support chrome as of yet
And Norton has been bashed in a lot of forums for that, including their own one.
In 20 days or so Symantec will release the 2012 version which will fully support Chrome.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Eh, Chrome and Firefox are both open source and there's give and take on both sides.

And the simple fact that their browser is supported by all the major vendors is due to the fact that Firefox is an older release when compared with Chrome.
Yup.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What extra benefits do you get in the security software supports your web browser?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Earth said:
What extra benefits do you get in the security software supports your web browser?
For instance with Norton IS 2011 if you use Chrome , you won't get the support for Safe Web and Identity Safe.However some features are supported even for Chrome like Download Insight.
For other suites you might not have the Web Guard or another browser based feature like Advance analyses with Zone Alarm or the Chrome Virtual Keyboard for Kaspersky.
The fact that features weren't available in Chrome was due to the fact that even if most of this suites were released one year ago, the developing stage for the 2011 products started even earlier (2010) when security vendors didn't saw Chrome as a major player.
As you;ll notice all the big vendors will start supporting Chrome with their latest releases.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.