Chrome Browser Keeps Redirecting Me To A Scam Site

tdh0085

Thread author
May 29, 2018
I just started getting this problem. Its 4:30PM now and i didnt have this problem before i went to bed last night at midnight. Ok here it is...

About every 5 minutes or so (while using Chrome), my browser will redirect me to a scam website. Well, it either redirects after a certain period (every 5 min) or after a certain number of clicks or something along those lines. I have Malwarebytes Premium but the full scan didnt help. Malwarebytes is saying that the site im getting redirected to is Download-geek.com. I looked it up on Google and its definitely a scam site. When it redirects me itll open a new tab but Malwarebytes always blocks it. FRST and Addition Text files ARE ATTACHED.

I can tell when the redirect will happen. Not only because of the amount of time between redirects, but my whole browser goes dead. I dont know how to word it properly. I cant hover over any links on the page. regardless of where i click itll always do the same thing ONLY when its about to redirect. Other than that its all good. So after a certain amount of time or after a certain amount of clicks then the next click will always bring me to the scam page. Its just annoying having a pop up every 5 minutes. And i caught it early so theres probably no serious damage but i cant figure out how to remove it. I have restarted my computer and performed 2 full system scans with Malwarebytes but other than that i havent done anything. Not too sure about what other info i should include... Just let me know if you need anything. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    65.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Addition.txt
    86.4 KB · Views: 2

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Let me know if this helps:

FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finishes FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 10

tdh0085

Thread author
May 29, 2018
Hello,

Let me know if this helps:

FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finishes FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.
what exactly will this fix do? I just want some more detailed info on what exactly it will do so i can better understand what'll be going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

tdh0085

Thread author
May 29, 2018
It is going to empty temporary files, browsers cache and some unwanted settings.
Ok cool. Is the removing of temporary files the same as running the disc cleanup? Because ive already cleared all of that as well as the old Windows updates. I also delete the browser cache on a fairly regular basis. Thank you for taking the time to help!

tdh0085

Thread author
May 29, 2018
I would call it an advanced disk cleanup which takes care only of Windows related temp files.

Ahh gotcha. Thank you. Dang, im sorry again for the super late reply. I still havent tried the fixlist yet. Am i still able to use the same one or do i need to get a new one?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.