New Update Chrome extensions: How to update them yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
(For all those whom may have wondered: "Why aren't all of my extensions up to date??o_O)

How to Manually Force Google Chrome to Update Extensions

650x174ximage104.png.pagespeed.ic.0l_75W5L8I.png

Google Chrome normally updates your extensions automatically, but when you see the news about a new extension version, you want it right now. Here’s how to force Chrome to upgrade all your extensions without reloading.

Forcing Chrome to Update Extensions Now
Head to chrome://extensions by either right-clicking on an extension and choosing Manage extensions, or just typing it into the location bar. Once there, click the Developer mode link on the right-hand side.

650x252ximage105.png.pagespeed.ic.S4LYse7XxM.png

And then click the Update extensions now button.

image106.png

That’s pretty much all there is to it. Note that you’ll likely have to reload any tabs that you want to use a new extension version on.

Source: How to Manually Force Google Chrome to Update Extensions | How-To Geek

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Personally, if I were on a desert island (one with Wi-Fi) I would definitely install the following:

Slimjet/Chrome - 1) uBlock Origin 2) LastPass 3)HTTPS Everywhere

Palemoon/Firefox/SeaMonkey - 1),2),3) same as above ;) plus 4) NoScript
5) SelfDestructingCookies

Edit: Palemoon, as seasoned PM browser users already know, uses forks for Adblock Plus & HTTPS Everywhere which are respectively Adblock Latitude & Encrypted Web.
SeaMonkey's :eek:non-functional add-ons (happily:D) have not:rolleyes: apparently appliedo_O as forewarned.
...& some time ago Firefox alerts had me circling about in a panic:confused: when they had marked the extensions downloaded from their developers' sites as possibly :eek:un-safe! Can you say "Mozilla version extensions preferred"?;)

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
The only thing I immediately install is an adblocker, and I always use adguard. I can not imagine that I ever surf on the internet again without an adblocker. Once you tried it, you can't live without it anymore, or that is at least the scenario in my case.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Couldn't live without my Chrome (or Slimjet/similar browser that supports all my add ons).

MUST have uBlock Origin, Xmarks (bookmark sync... I have over 100 bookmarks), Lastpass. That's all I need. The rest is just candy. And I don't care for sweets anymore. lol Got to have my iced tea though.

It's too bad Viviadi doesn't currently work with Xmarks. The only thing stopping me from using it instead of Chrome.

L

LabZero

Surely uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere and No Script and about this last, may initially It seem a bit too complicated to use but actually it is very simple and it blocks scripts in advance using whitelist preventing exploitation of security vulnerabilities: it is a must!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.