Chrome/Firefox Add-ons/Extensions Scanner ???

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
I am using quite a lot of security add-ons for chrome and firefox just for testing purpose, until i came across some article which said that a malicious add-on can be really dangerous for a users privacy !!
The article said that there have been instances of malicious add-on and thousands of people using the same!!

I have tried looking for some extension scanners but haven't found any,
can someone help ???

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The ones that I only have installed are Adblock Plus, Ghostery and Lastpass, when not using Trend's password manager.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
McLovin, I think you the OP is asking for an extension that scans for malicious extensions, or something along those lines.

Just keep clear of non-reputable extensions, read the reviews, research into owners site etc.

You don't need one to be honest, but I'm supposedly guessing malicious extensions come with fake codecs etc.

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
Earth said:
McLovin, I think you the OP is asking for an extension that scans for malicious extensions, or something along those lines.

Just keep clear of non-reputable extensions, read the reviews, research into owners site etc.

You don't need one to be honest, but I'm supposedly guessing malicious extensions come with fake codecs etc.

ya that can be a solution but, sometimes an unpopular add-on seems to be very useful and you wanted to try it but you can't just because it might be malicious,
was just wondering that none of the security suites came up with the ides!!
Thanks for the reply, i guess i will have to wait for such a thing :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.