Troubleshoot Chrome freezing and cannot end process

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
This is usually for me a process of getting to the bottom of what is actually causing the freeze. It's not usually the browser, expecially with Chrome, unless it's an extension. Chrome is really well written. To test extensions, disable your browser extensions and see if the problem is corrected. If not, next time you sense the freeze happening, open Task Manager and click on the CPU column header so you can see what's using most of the processor. It will almost always have something to do with that process.

If it's svchost.exe or another Windows process, look at how much memory it's using and make a mental note. High RAM usage for Windows processes can mean you have a hung update or something could be "borrowing" svchost.exe or something else Windows. Example in W7 would have been sidebar.exe. Some widgets could appear to be svchost.exe, but the widget was the problem. Has to do with programs that run as a service or have an associated service installed on the PC.

Post back what is using the processor. That would help. Zemana scan will probably find some things if a MBAM scan did too.

Upvote 0

Courtney McCarthy

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 12, 2017
This is usually for me a process of getting to the bottom of what is actually causing the freeze. It's not usually the browser, expecially with Chrome, unless it's an extension. Chrome is really well written. To test extensions, disable your browser extensions and see if the problem is corrected. If not, next time you sense the freeze happening, open Task Manager and click on the CPU column header so you can see what's using most of the processor. It will almost always have something to do with that process.

If it's svchost.exe or another Windows process, look at how much memory it's using and make a mental note. High RAM usage for Windows processes can mean you have a hung update or something could be "borrowing" svchost.exe or something else Windows. Example in W7 would have been sidebar.exe. Some widgets could appear to be svchost.exe, but the widget was the problem. Has to do with programs that run as a service or have an associated service installed on the PC.

Post back what is using the processor. That would help. Zemana scan will probably find some things if a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan did too.
So, when I went to task manager it said 70% was being used but only for a moment then it dropped down to 3% and nothing is using more than 1%, but chrome is still frozen.

I had two YouTube tabs open when it froze. Watching one video. Nothing else running on the computer.

Reactions: AtlBo
Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
What was the 70%? Chrome? If so, were the videos still running?

Some system specs would help. How much RAM/what kind of CPU/video card?

Freezes aren't always the result of an overworked processor. Sometimes, Windows has a hard time sorting information for processing. Usually has to do with poorly optimized programming or a software conflict (kind of rare these days), but it can be malware.

Did you try a Zemana scan? Also, did you try disabling extensions?

Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
The CPU is an Intel I7-5500U @2.40GHz. 8GB of ram. Graphics is Intel HD 5500.

Zemana scan was clean.

OK thanks. Might be one of your startup programs causing the problem. That's the next thing I would go through. Task Manager->Startups tab. If you can, make a list of them. Should be your a-v and some others. After that it's a matter of scheduled tasks.

If MBAM found malware, there could be some traces of it still on the system too. Might be necessary to go through malware removal process.

Upvote 0

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
@Courtney McCarthy,

your problem started 5th july approximately as you have stated, so why not use system restore & roll back to a date earlier than that.

once that is done remove every bit of chrome using an uninstaller, scan with zemana & re-install chrome. just my two cents, hope it helps.

Entirely? Or just temporarily...

entirely & permanently :D switch to firefox :cool:

Reactions: AtlBo
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.