Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is it good to use chrome incognito (with "lastpass" and "https everywhere" enabled) for accessing financial sites?
I would assume it is safer because you are protected from all the other extensions, which are not running in incognito.

Is there a downside to this?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I would agree that using incognito for the sole purpose of disabling the extensions while using banking sites would be better than browsing them with all the other extensions enabled, however it does not protect your browsing data from other ways. The best way is to have a anti-keylogger or have a special sandbox (ESET and Avast products provide these) that sandbox the browsers to make sure that other malware on system would have a hard time getting your financial information.

REDBEARD1

Level 1
Mar 7, 2016
Is it good to use chrome incognito (with "lastpass" and "https everywhere" enabled) for accessing financial sites?
I would assume it is safer because you are protected from all the other extensions, which are not running in incognito.

Is there a downside to this?
why not just use a live cd?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I used to use a VPN for banking. I hated paying for one that I used once a month to bank.
Now my bank is so close I can walk there (about 4mi) so I cut out the middle man ie, Internet. :)
PS: I drive there lol
PeAcE

Reactions: frogboy and XhenEd

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Incognito is indeed useful to leave without any traces of browsing history. No need to clean those cache (except for maintenance) however do not sacrifice your extensions that will protect your details no matter what.

I highly recommended to use Incognito to avoid any accounts to be compromise once you close the browser.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
generally speaking, when you are accessing a banking site, is the enemy coming from within or from without?
I mean, are you trying to protect yourself from malware that might already be residing on your system, or from an attack coming in right now from outside?
If the first is the case, then you might as well use a sandboxed browser, but if the second, then you would want to use a browser well protected by your security softs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.