Chrome nearly replaced Firefox in Ubuntu Linux, Mark Shuttleworth says

Will Chrome replace Firefox as default browser on Unbutu ,in the next releases ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth is a big fan of Google Chrome, and says the browser could replace the standard Firefox in future versions of Ubuntu Linux.

Shuttleworth, the onetime space tourist, is spending his days on Earth to guide Canonical through a crossroads.

The overhauled user interface Canonical created for Ubuntu was greeted with a mixed reaction upon its release two months ago. But Canonical may not be done making radical changes to what is likely the world's most popular Linux desktop OS.

The South African Shuttleworth was visiting Canonical's Massachusetts office last week when he took an hour out of his day for a phone interview with Network World. Shuttleworth said "it's a real possibility" that Canonical may replace Firefox with Chrome as the default Web browser in Ubuntu.

Read more

Mark Shuttleworth said:
"It's a real possibility...We looked at it closely in the last cycle and the decision was to stick with Firefox in 11.10."

I've got a feeling that in the future,Chrome will be the new leader when it comes to browsers.As for the future default browser in Unbutu , I have no doubt that will be Chrome.Google is just too powerfull....

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I wouldn't like that decision. I could see adding Chrome as an option, (some distros come with two or three browsers) but I think replacing Firefox as the default would be a bad move.

I guess it wouldn't be a huge deal as long as they have Firefox in their repositories for ease of download and installation, but I'm still not a fan of Chrome.

Chrome still doesn't have the extensions that Firefox has, and Google needs to keep their fingers out of the browser privacy-wise. I'd prefer one of the Chromium variants that anonymize the browser over Chrome. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.