Chrome omnibox re-directing to http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/

Zerohaxxis

Thread author
Jan 25, 2014
Hello, name is Josh.

I've worked on computers since I was a kid (mostly software) and never in my life had malware or viruses that I couldn't get rid of.... My computer runs great. I always keep it top notch and never have had a problem like this before.

3 months I've been having this issue and can't seem to bust it. I have looked in extensions in Chrome and all the settings... even uninstalled and re-installed. Nothing runs in processes of yahoo... There is not a single Yahoo program or toolbar on my computer. I HATE YAHOO...! This is some sort of malware im guessing. Like I said, I know my computers like the back of my hand compared to most PC users. Google chrome is also set as my default search and everything... I only use google searching.

Maybe someone has an answer for me... I have done numerous searches on thishttp://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/ and nothing seems to work. I have removed everything that I could think of that could with it. The past 3 months there has a been a few times that I thought it was gone and was actually using Google searches but then the next day its back. KEEPS COMING BACK....!!!
It drivers me nuts!!! Also... I never have used a forum for help and im hoping I can get this issue resolved. I know this is not actually YAHOO doing this...just a fake yahoo url. My wife also coupons and sometimes I find coupon printing spyware on my computer. So idk. I'd really appropriate the help

ANYWAYS.....

>>>>>>HERE IS A LOG FROM ADWCLEANER<<<<<<<<<<<< *Note* I used this program few days ago and It did take some malware off but it still didn't solve this issue.*****

# AdwCleaner v3.017 - Report created 25/01/2014 at 18:16:20
# Updated 12/01/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)
# Username : Damize - ZEROHAXXIS
# Running from : C:\Users\Damize\Desktop\adwcleaner.exe
# Option : Scan

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v9.0.8112.16421

-\\ Google Chrome v32.0.1700.76

[ File : C:\Users\Damize\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\preferences ]

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [8674 octets] - [24/01/2014 20:01:15]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [884 octets] - [25/01/2014 17:18:50]
AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [745 octets] - [25/01/2014 18:16:20]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [8223 octets] - [24/01/2014 20:03:35]
AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [944 octets] - [25/01/2014 17:22:18]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [923 octets] ##########

========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Hijack this... When I start it up it and scan it says

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in this file, HijackThis may NOT be able to fix this.

If that happens, you need to edit the file yourself. To do this, Click Start, Run and type:

notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

and press Enter. Find the line(s) HijackThis reports and delete them. Save the file as 'hosts'. (with quotes), and reboot.

For Vista: simply exit HiJackThis, right click on the HijackThis icon, choose 'Run as administrator'.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I hit okay and scan... Here is my log
*note* There is plenty of stuff that I have no idea what it is so fill me in if you see anything. Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

• startuplist.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 228
  • hijackthis scan log.txt
    12.1 KB · Views: 159

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Do you know how to Clear the history of Google Chrome?

STEP 1: Run a scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zerohaxxis

Thread author
Jan 25, 2014
Okay, closed Chrome browser and ran FRST x64 bit as administrator and only scanned. Here are the two txt files.

*Edit* Yes, I know how to clear history on Chrome. I've already tried just about everything on Chrome. Restoring to default settings, uninstalling and re-installing. Only thing I havn't tried is deleting everything to do with GOOGLE.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    29.5 KB · Views: 113
  • FRST.txt
    29.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Clear your entire browsing history
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    SNP_2696434_en_v1
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Tools.
  3. Select Clear browsing data.
  4. In the dialog that appears, select the "Clear browsing history" checkbox.
  5. Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data you want to delete. Select beginning of time to clear your entire browsing history.
  6. Click Clear browsing data.

Make sure you have selected beginning of time.

Step-2

Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)

Open FRST, and click Fix. Attach me that report after it is finished.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

sahil lakhe

Jan 14, 2015
I had the same issue and after a lot of uninstalling/re-installing, anti malware, and other methods, I dug in a little deeper. I found that there was a program on my PC named searchprotection.exe . I had never installed this so uninstalled it and Voila!! my omnibox was back to normal.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.