Chrome: SafeSear.ch Search :Malware/Adware

Kushal Patel

Thread author
Aug 13, 2016
Infection date and initial symptoms:
8/12/16. Chrome search engine is enforced to stick onto SafeSearch Search.
Current issues and symptoms: Chrome has this search engine its stuck onto and won't let me switch over to Google:
Screenshot
Screenshot
As you see in last screenshot, i deleted Yahoo, Bing, Ask, AOL search settings every boot and after reboot it will pop up again.

Steps taken in order to remove the infection:
I think whole system is infected, I have MalwareBytes Premium and i ran few other scans from Adware Removal Tool, FRST, mbar, etc.
It detected few threats and it removed.

What scan logs have you uploaded to this post?:
FRST scan log

Last night, 8/12, I had this iso file i was trying to delete but it was attached to System process so i was trying to download this thing called Unload Unlocker or something that unlocks the file from any processes and little did i pay attention, i downloaded SafeSearch bs (lol) what ticked me off is that MalwareBytes is on 24/7 just as the laptop and it didn't catch it.
It had downloaded a "FastBrowser" (i think that's the name) and installed amazon, ebay and etc shortcuts everywhere and i went ahead and uninstalled FastBrowser.
I followed this thread:
SOLVED - Google Chrome safesearch: enforced by adminstrator. Malware?
I didn't get anything, however when i was trying to run AdWCleaner, it found 39 threats and when i selected to Clean, system would crash, a BSOD with error: Critical Process has died.
I have reset'd chrome settings plenty of time.
I'm afraid that i won't be able to reinstall chrome if i uninstal it. My friend has same thing and he doesn't use that laptop as he uninstalled and now can't install back again.
I referred this site to him as he will be making a post about similar to this soon.

Thank you for reading this and have a good day!

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    87.4 KB · Views: 1
  • FRST.txt
    805.7 KB · Views: 2

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Please download Zemana AntiMalware and save it to your Desktop.
  • Install the program and once the installation is complete it will start automatically.
  • Without changing any options, press Scan to begin.
  • After the short scan is finished, if threats are detected press Next to remove them.
Note: If restart is required to finish the cleaning process, you should click Reboot. If reboot isn't required, please restart your computer manually.
  • Open Zemana AntiMalware again.
  • Click on
    4zu6vb.jpg
    icon and double click the latest report.
  • Now click File > Save As and choose your Desktop before pressing Save.
  • The only left thing is to attach saved report in your next message.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.