Advice Request Chrome user - suggestion for an Adblocker?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Only uBlock Origin is suitable as an adblocker. The settings that come with it should be sufficient and block 99.5% of all ads, if they are not sufficient you can add filters yourself.

If you use Privacy Badger as your only adblocker, it will not block every advertisement. However, in combination with uBlock Origin, it does not improve anything.

Tunnel Bear is a VPN and doesn't focus entirely on blocking ads, I also think the filter lists are not as up-to-date as uBlock Origin.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I have Adguard (lifetime) but recently switched to uBO as it so simple and light weight. With Adguard I would occasionally run across website issues and it was an effort to learn the cause... particularly when disabling Adguard didn't help (while disabling its service did). Adblock (not Adblock Plus) served me well to.

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
These are my two cents: Adblocker for Chrome based browser, Win10 OS----
AdGuard standalone app-- bit heavy for resource, not recommended for RAM < 2 GB
AdGuard browser extension--faily acceptable.
uBlock Origin browser extension--a bit fast than AdGuard.
Nano Adblocker and Nano Defender-- I am using both on Chrome-based browser. They are new kids in the block. Performing very well.

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Using Chrome as my primary browser, I've found uBlock Origin to be noticeably more efficient than the AdGuard extension with the same filters. With AG I'd regularly see some delay with the browser "waiting for AdGuard" which is eliminated with uBO. Also uBO's RAM usage is notably lower as viewed in Chrome's task manager.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Nano Adblocker on Chrome, Edge, Brave and more. Default filters and 99.9% of ads are gone. But the best thing: Nano (like uBO) is a wide spectrum blocker. When used in Advanced User Medium Mode it acts as a firewall for your browser. Take a little time to learn using it this way and your browser security increases dramatically. :)(y)

Block for ads.

Use the default malware domain lists, but do not add additional filters. Those filters are a waste of resources.

Only those that do not understand malicious webpages believe that a malware domain will end up in the filter list and they will somehow manage to end up on one. Such a person has a better chance of hitting the lotto or getting bit by a shark in their bathtub.

Otherwise, people here must be doing a whole lot of high risk stuff to be so consumed with web content filtering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.