Advice Request Chromium versus Chrome on Windows

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
On Linux most choose Chromium since it receives updates. On Windows decision is a bit harder due to lack of auto-update (at least for 32 bits version)

On Windows Chrome updates flash in user folders while Chromium uses the PPAPI version Adobe. Because I use software policies (which block execution) in user folders, I have to copy past the updated flash in AppData to Program Files folders. Always when you are in hurry this happens. I got so annoyed by Google updating dll in user folders, that I decided to switch to Chromium (link) and stop using flash also.

Due to increase of mobile devices, most websites have flashplayer with HTML-player. When using Chromium you have to disable the irritating "missing Google API" warning (link).

I am curious what the opinion is on MalwareTips of Chromium versus Chrome and why.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I use Chrome. My software allows auto update without issues so we skip that. Flash it's blocked because it's dead and useless but if i really have to use it i open Firefox.
I see no reason to change from Chrome tbh. It seems solid, gets security updates and new features. I don't know but i trust Chrome devs more. To change from Chrome they must mess up something really bad.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Can we give our opinion on Chromium based Browser , or only chromium ?

Currently, I use Vivaldi, another Chromium based Browser that isn’t finalized yet (you can only download technical preview to see how it works), and like it a lot :)

I use Chrome. My software allows auto update without issues so we skip that. Flash it's blocked because it's dead and useless but if i really have to use it i open Firefox.
I see no reason to change from Chrome tbh. It seems solid, gets security updates and new features. I don't know but i trust Chrome devs more. To change from Chrome they must mess up something really bad.
May be wrong, but that's Chrome that use Chromium source code as base and add other stuff (Flash Player, PDF reader, tracking , etc ) , no ?

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Can we give our opinion on Chromium based Browser , or only chromium ?

Currently, I use Vivaldi, another Chromium based Browser that isn’t finalized yet (you can only download technical preview to see how it works), and like it a lot :)

May be wrong, but that's Chrome that use Chromium source code as base and add other stuff, no (Flash Player, PDF reader, tracking , etc ) ?
Maybe you are right, i don't know either. I just don't see the point in doing any switch.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Chromium or Chrome will do, both have decent performance and reliability.

It just play down on some certain features at all.

So either choose one and you will not gain lose. ;)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
For Windows, I find Chrome to be a very nice stable/fast experience across the web (especially for HTML5 video). Chrome is also known to be a very secure browser and is widely supported across a large range of devices/platforms and for the most part, support new web technologies more efficiently than say Edge (this is my own opinion based on use experience of the browser).

For Linux, I also use Chrome. For Debian/Ubuntu based distros, I install using .deb file directly available from Google's site. For Arch based, I install via AUR which does have the ability to auto update (at least on Manjaro) via whatever software you chose to update your system as a whole. Some distros (like Solus, Zorin, etc) have a built in feature to install many popular browsers - in this case, Chrome and they both support auto update (not handled by Chrome like on Windows).

In regard to performance (on both Windows and Linux), I find both run about the same speed. Chromium may be lighter on drive space and RAM since it doesn't offer the Chrome's full range of features by default (such as built in Flash and I believe support to play different formats of media). If you don't like Flash and don't need any of the built in feature that Google has added to Chrome, you mind as well run Chromium (at least on Linux for convenience).

Reactions: DardiM
Y

yigido

You cannot watch Twitter and Netflix videos with bare Chromium. Do you know that? You can try!
Chrome also has some paid codecs for such websites and encryption decryptors.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
i cant use google chrome for facebook to play my games on there so im also using comodo dragon and microsoft edge for watching videos that i cant on google chrome

Y

yigido

i cant use google chrome for facebook to play my games on there so im also using comodo dragon and microsoft edge for watching videos that i cant on google chrome
Strange, Comodo Dragon hasn't that paid codecs in it. So I cannot play Tiwtter videos in Dragon. I reported it to Comodo 1 year ago :confused: and they will release a fix in the September lets see what will CD 52 will bring us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.