Aug 30, 2018
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Comodo Firewall 11....Cruelsis settings. Nothing else.
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
None
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Opera
Maintenance tools
Privazer
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Macrium

Chuck57

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I would, and I did a year or so ago. I had 1709 and I liked it. Then, the last upgrade came along and nothing worked right after. Fortunately, I had a full backup. Put 8.1 Pro back on this laptop, and decided Windows 10 can suck sewage water. I'm sticking with what works. AND, 8.1 Pro is faster and uses less resources on this machine.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Apart of the some already mentioned suggestions, enable SmartScreem (Device Security), which is already available in w8.1...

A PassWord Manager and a VPN service would also welcome in Web Privacy section.

Thanks for sharing :giggle:

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I'd add some on demand scanners: Zemana, MBAM, Emsisoft Emergency Kit (don't need to add all of them)
VPN service: Windscribe 10GB or tweet them for an extra 5GB a month, no IP address leakage, very fast/reliable & no vulns thus far.

Won't say about the OS, that's been suggested already.

~LDogg

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Very simple setup. I'm curious though, do you use uBlockOrigin in Medium Mode? It might be a good idea since you're running barebones and have disabled SmartScreen. Just sayin'... . (y):emoji_pray:

Reactions: Chuck57 and catjc

Chuck57

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Ublock Origin is on my browser. Would never think of going online without it.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Enable Smartscreen, it can be fundamental to prevent infections.

Add ZAM Free and EEK or NPE.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: harlan4096

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Windows 10 generally uses more RAM to boost performance... At least in my experience.
I think adding a regular blacklist scanner would give you more confidence. Theoretically you're pretty much safe with the auto sandbox, but letting old stuff pass through the browser downloads... It kinda scares me. Maybe I'm too old scool.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.