Clean infected usb key

MisterToto

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I was given an infected key in order to clean it off. How can I proceed correctly for not infecting my computer?
Thank you,
MisterToto

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Click the Start and Input "gpedit.msc" in search box, then click the result to open the gpedit.
Expand Administrative Templates >Windows Components > Autoplay Policies in order.
Then double click "Turn off Autoplay"
Click Enabled, and then select All drives so that you can disable Autorun on all drives.
Click Ok at last.

After restarting your computer, you have done all the needed work to disable Auto Play in Windows

Update your antivirus. And after all that connect the infected USB and click to scan it with your AV.

You can optionally go and use USB immunizer after all that to immunize that USB

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
another solution:
run Linux from cd or usb an manual clean infected USB

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
First before cleaning you need to understand how Virus Spread through USB when you are just plugging it in your system.

By default Autoplay is Turned on for USB drive. When windows try to Autoplay the USB stick insetred, it actually follow the instruction written in Autorun.inf file. SO if you disable Autoplay then the virus will still be there but unless you are clicking on them they won't spread.

So as already suggested by @BoraMurdar

1. Disable Autoplay
2. Insert USB
3. Do not open it, just do a right click scan with your updated Antivirus. Or best cleaning it do format :)

Last edited:

MisterToto

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
First before cleaning you need to understand how Virus Spread through USB when you are just plugging it in your system.

By default Autoplay is Turned on for USB drive. When windows try to Autoplay the USB stick insetred, it actually follow the instruction written in Autorun.inf file. SO if you disable Autoplay then the virus will still be there but unless you are clicking on them they won't spread.

So as already suggested by @BoraMurdar

1. Disable Autoplay
2. Insert USB
3. Do not open it, just do a right click scan with your updated Antivirus. Or best cleaning it do format :)
If I format it it will be safe? Because I heard the key was formated but still has viruses...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Handling infected USB is literally dangerous due to autorun that can sneak to your registry when did not detect quickly, if you have smartphone/tablet that supports USB insertion try first to insert and examine the files before in the PC. (I know its sounds same pattern like booting in Linux) ;)

Reactions: MisterToto

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.