Battle Clean Master Phone Boost or something else?

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
I install this app a few times per month and delete cache + perform AV scan.

I can tell you that it DOES help, not only my phone feels faster and smoother, I actually measured it several times using AnTuTu Benchmark - and always got better score after the cleaning.

So there is definitely something to it.

I immediately uninstall it after the cleaning is finished.

But I heard some concerns regarding privacy... Should I stop using it? Is there any similary effective (even paid, I don't mind at all :oops:) cleaning app for Android? Or do you think the privacy issues are exaggerated and I have nothing to worry about?

I tried some "more reputable" apps like Avast Cleanup for Android or CCleaner but they don't work that effectively, they are not that thorough.

Any tips?

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Depends of your phone, i have oneplus 5t wich is 1.5 years old and after installing the apps i use, i have 114gt storage left and the phone has 8gt of ram...

I just clear cache manually on boot, after every major android update.

I dont see any reason to use ccleaner, or any cleaner or antivirus myself with such decent phone and only using unlimited data plan in my country

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I suggest to avoid apps made by this developer Cheetah mobile. Clean cache from storage option in settings. I think that should be enough. Clean master probably cleans Ram, which makes your phone faster for a while like few hours maybr then the Ram fills up again soon so not a proper solution. Its just fake speed boost. If Clean master is hibernating apps, rather use greenify but for newer Android versions, I don't think it makes any noticable difference without rooting.
Actual well received cleaner is SD maid but its free version is limited and I think you need root for more effective cleaning.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I use the inbuildt "smartdoctor" in my LG. It delete the cache and act more or less like Ccleaner. On my Iphone I just delete the cache once a week or something. But it seems many simply dont delete anything on Iphones? Maybe it dont have the big influence? I have just used Ccleaner so many years on my computer, it's hard not to when it say it deleted 1 GB cache after 14 days use. But my opinion on apps like clean master etc, is not good. I dont think they help the slightest bit.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I use the inbuildt "smartdoctor" in my LG. It delete the cache and act more or less like Ccleaner. On my Iphone I just delete the cache once a week or something. But it seems many simply dont delete anything on Iphones? Maybe it dont have the big influence? I have just used Ccleaner so many years on my computer, it's hard not to when it say it deleted 1 GB cache after 14 days use. But my opinion on apps like clean master etc, is not good. I dont think they help the slightest bit.
Norton cleaner is very light program and if you clean your phone you will see mb or kb.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Clean Master is on a list of backdoored Chinese apps discovered by the Indian Intelligence Bureau:
Weibo, WeChat, SHAREit, Truecaller, UC News, UC Browser, BeautyPlus, NewsDog, VivaVideo- QU Video Inc, Parallel Space, APUS Browser, Perfect Corp, Virus Cleaner (Hi Security Lab), CM Browser, Mi Community, DU recorder, Vault-Hide, YouCam Makeup, Mi Store, CacheClear DU apps studio, DU Battery Saver, DU Cleaner, DU Privacy, 360 Security, DU Browser, Clean Master – Cheetah Mobile, Baidu Translate, Baidu Map, Wonder Camera, ES File Explorer, Photo Wonder, QQ International, QQ Music, QQ Mail, QQ Player, QQ NewsFeed, WeSync, QQ Security Centre, SelfieCity, Mail Master, Mi Video call-Xiaomi, and QQ Launcher.
Avoid it like the plague, of course Google don't care that apps with so many millions of downloads are backdoored, they get money. Use Files Go by Google.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Restart your Android/iPhone once per week. Add a reminder to your calendar.
So there is definitely something to it.

I immediately uninstall it after the cleaning is finished.
AnTuTu Benchmark is owned by CMCM (Cheetah Mobile).
via: reddit - TIL that Antutu is owned by Cheetah Mobile

Anything CM-related is shady and practices may be unethical.

Why Mobile Benchmarks Are Almost Meaningless | Read more (Posted 2012 - Last Updated 2017)
  1. can easily be gamed
  2. measure performance without considering power consumption
  3. rarely predict real-world performance

Quoted replies from reddit - Do benchmark apps like Geekbench/antutu/3dmark Do a good job in gauging your phone's performance?

Man, you're worrying too much about this stuff. Geekbench and benchmarking apps are just numbers, and they routinely vary from test to test. Your phone is fine. Enjoy it.

Benchmark numbers don't mean anything nowadays. Phones and computers are so powerful that's it's down to software and "feel".

People sent spaceships into space with less powerful processors and you're worrying about your phone performance?

Don't worry about those scores. The chips in phones now a days are insanely fast and at this point the only thing keeping phones from reaching their full potential is the hard drive speed and software.

Performance yeah, usability/user experience no.

They mean nothing. Manufacturers are now finding ways to artificially boost their scores so that phone performance appears even better than it actually is. Ignore them.

Did you check the App Permissions:

AnTuTu Benchmark [Google Play Store]Geekbench [Google Play Store]
Privacy Policy: cmcm.com/protocol/site/privacy.htmlPrivacy Policy: primatelabs.com/legal/privacy.html
As of 20 March 2019, v7.1.7 - This app has access to:As of 17 Dec 2018, v4.3.2 - This app has access to:
Device & app history
  • retrieve running apps
Phone
  • read phone status and identity
Photos / Media / Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Storage
Camera
  • take pictures and videos
Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
Device ID & call information
Other
  • close other apps
  • read Home settings and shortcuts
  • write Home settings and shortcuts
  • view network connections
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • change network connectivity
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • measure app storage space
  • full network access
  • close other apps
  • run at startup
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • install shortcuts
  • uninstall shortcuts
Other
  • full network access

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Stefanos wrote:"Norton cleaner is very light program and if you clean your phone you will see mb or kb."

I could imagine it works like the "smartcleaner" on my LG phone. I will keep removing my cache as I have a feeling the phone will be slow if GB after GB just steal place, so I understand you use that Norton. It's just a certain kind of "cleaners" I dont like. "Mastercleaner", "Cleaner pro" "Clean Master" and what they are called. Many of them "optimize" the RAM too, and I just dont believe that kind of cleaners.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@RXZ6Q What phone do you have? Unless your phone is low on RAM or storage space or running slower than it should, there is often little need for apps like this.

If you phone is low on storage space, then the Pro version of SD Maid, is a good option, as it does a very good job and finding and cleaning junk, has no ads and doesn't do any monitoring in the background.

Last edited:

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Restart your Android/iPhone once per week. Add a reminder to your calendar.

AnTuTu Benchmark is owned by CMCM (Cheetah Mobile).
via: reddit - TIL that Antutu is owned by Cheetah Mobile

Anything CM-related is shady and practices may be unethical.

Why Mobile Benchmarks Are Almost Meaningless | Read more (Posted 2012 - Last Updated 2017)

Quoted replies from reddit - Do benchmark apps like Geekbench/antutu/3dmark Do a good job in gauging your phone's performance?

Man, you're worrying too much about this stuff. Geekbench and benchmarking apps are just numbers, and they routinely vary from test to test. Your phone is fine. Enjoy it.

Benchmark numbers don't mean anything nowadays. Phones and computers are so powerful that's it's down to software and "feel".

People sent spaceships into space with less powerful processors and you're worrying about your phone performance?

Don't worry about those scores. The chips in phones now a days are insanely fast and at this point the only thing keeping phones from reaching their full potential is the hard drive speed and software.

Performance yeah, usability/user experience no.

They mean nothing. Manufacturers are now finding ways to artificially boost their scores so that phone performance appears even better than it actually is. Ignore them.

Did you check the App Permissions:

AnTuTu Benchmark [Google Play Store]Geekbench [Google Play Store]
Privacy Policy: cmcm.com/protocol/site/privacy.htmlPrivacy Policy: primatelabs.com/legal/privacy.html
As of 20 March 2019, v7.1.7 - This app has access to:As of 17 Dec 2018, v4.3.2 - This app has access to:
Device & app history
  • retrieve running apps
Phone
Photos / Media / Files
Storage
Camera
  • take pictures and videos
Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
Device ID & call information
Other
  • close other apps
  • read Home settings and shortcuts
  • write Home settings and shortcuts
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • change network connectivity
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • measure app storage space
  • full network access
  • close other apps
  • run at startup
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • install shortcuts
  • uninstall shortcuts
Other
  • full network access
Wow, that was very helpful. Thanks! I'm only using Geekbench from now in case I need to test something :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm not saying Geekbench is better or worse, in fact, I never any of these Apps. It was listed as a similar app in the Google Play Store.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.