Status
Not open for further replies.

14troy14

Level 1
Thread author
May 12, 2011
Which is the best?

ClearCloud DNS or Norton DNS?

In term of protection, I don't know which one is the best but a bad thing with Norton DNS is that it's working only with English operating system and I got a French one. :s

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I am going to say ClearCloud since all the tests I've seen performed with it does better then NortonDNS, Not to mention my own tests.

I'm not too sure about it not working on a French PC?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I will go Clearcloud DNS, the detection rates are good also fast reply when submitted a FP site and it will removed from their database.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
All you need to use Norton DNS is to change your DNS servers. Follow the instructions for manual set-up: link. You don't necessarily need the client if you want to block malware sites.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I would choose ClearCloud since it detects more malicious URLs that Norton DNS from what I have tested, Its also my savior from dodgy links. :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
bogdan said:
All you need to use Norton DNS is to change your DNS servers. Follow the instructions for manual set-up: link. You don't necessarily need the client if you want to block malware sites.

Correct, although those are the ways on changing the DNS, if you have no worries in usage you can use the client but manually changing DNS can save your time and its an easier way.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I do appreciate more the "speed" of the DNS than it's protection....so right now I'm using my Google DNS.which is pretty good.
I've used both Norton and Clear Cloud as my DNS...and Norton for me ,was faster...nevetheless with both I've seen some FP....so if you ask me,for protection It's better to use a simple browser advisor like WOT than a DNS.....
If I had to chose between Norton and Clear Cloud ,I would go with Symantec.....they've got a bigger community,more servers and their DNS has also a Web Content Filtering feature.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
For me both have issues, of the two servers used by each from my location one of each fails, think last I changed to Google and I tend to agree with Jack on the speed preference. If I HAD to choose I am more likely to lean towards CC though as when I first tried each of them it seemed to be doing the better job, surely that can easily change and go back and forth though. I like how quick they are to handle reported issues I must say.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I been using CCloud for a couple of months, up to this point it
has not given me a reason to try ...Norton DNS or others.
I would say, guessing, that probably both are about the same.
What I know for sure, though, is that its better than what I had
from my internet provider since it did not provide any security
as we get when we use either Norton or CCloud DNS.
I prefer to install as few as possible software as I can so I am
using CCloud by changing the DNS servers instead of using the
ClearCloud utility.

Bo

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Neither. I tried both and although they can block some malicious sites, they both tend to block many safe sites and are extremely slow compared to my ISP DNS.

You can test your DNS speed with DNS Benchmark

First resort back to your default ISP DNS, then run the test.
It takes awhile to complete and the results will be different to everyone depending on your location.

Thanks.:D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Littlebits said:
Neither. I tried both and although they can block some malicious sites, they both tend to block many safe sites and are extremely slow compared to my ISP DNS.

You can test your DNS speed with DNS Benchmark

First resort back to your default ISP DNS, then run the test.
It takes awhile to complete and the results will be different to everyone depending on your location.

Thanks.:D
CCloud fixes wrongly blocked sites in a couple of hours if you submit
it to be checked up. I know CCloud does not block much but on my
case my ISP does not block any. So, got nothing to lose by using
CCloud.
Speed? I don't feel any difference at all whether I use my ISP DNS
or CCloud.

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.