Mac Airbook - Big Sur
Infected device issues
Malware - Notification pop-ups.
Browsers affected by infection
  1. Safari
Browser Settings: Homepage and Default Search Engine
The basic start page on Mac Airbooks?
Browser extensions
I don't know. I'm new to Mac and I honestly am not impressed! LOL.

catinreno

Thread author
Nov 29, 2022
Hi everyone. I was an idiot and clicked on this to download something and poof! Pop-up notifications every few minutes! Anyway, I had already downloaded MalwareBytes and it didn't find anything. I also downloaded AVG Antivirus, which found a few malware, which it had removed, except I still had the same problem. After stopping the notifications, I ran MalwareBytes again, and still nothing.

What else do I need to do? Just because the notifications have stopped, I'm thinking that doesn't mean the Mac is clean, right? Help!!

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello @catinreno,
Your computer should be clean, however, let's do a quick check.

1. Let's check if there are any malicious profiles installed on your Mac:

1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Click Profiles.
  3. The list may include a malicious item “AdminPrefs“. Select this and click the remove “–” button in the lower-left corner. If there isn’t a Profiles icon, you don’t have any profiles installed, which is normal.

2. Let's check if there are any unknown extensions installed on Safari. In the Safari app on your Mac, choose Safari > Settings, then click Extensions. Look for any extensions that you didn't install and remove them.

3. Open the Safari app on your Mac, and choose Safari > Settings. Click Websites, then click Notifications. Deselect “Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications.” This should prevent spam notifications in the future.
Next, I would recommend that you install an ad blocker like AdGuard extension for Safari (Free) - ‎AdGuard for Safari

4. If you have the time, you can run another scan with Malwarebytes to ensure no other malware is detected.

That's it, let me know how it goes.

catinreno

Thread author
Nov 29, 2022
Hi Jack!

Thanks for your response. I'm on 2 and when I click on "Safari Extensions" it opens the window, but I can't do anything. It's all greyed out on the left navigation thing and I see some apps, but I can't click on anything, scroll, or even close the window.

Oh, hold on. I think I just found another way to see the extensions and it's showing there are none. I'm guessing that's why everything was greyed out because it opened the App Store, and I couldn't navigate anywhere. But when I opened the App Store, I could. Downloading Adguard now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.