SysHardener recommended settings
Periodic malware scanners
ON DEMAND:
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malwarebytes Premium
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge Dev Chromium with strict tracker blocking (main browser)
Chrome
Maintenance tools
ThrottleStop
Wisedisk Cleaner
CCleaner
Revo Uninstaller Pro
Bandzip
File and Photo backup
Google Back and Restore for documents and media
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Pro
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
MSI GS65 STEALTH 9SE-498TH, I7-9750H, 16 GB (8GB X2) DDR4 2666MHz,1 TB PCIe/NVMe M.2 SSD, NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 6 GB GDDR6

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
My setup

Is there any redundancy here?

Do I need Malwarebytes Browser Guard with Ublock Origin, Privacy Possum, Decentralise, Smartscreen and R.O.B.E.R.T?

Also, I have no optical drive, is Windows Backup and Restore with Google Drive for files enough?

Thanks!

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
I see you have Malwarebytes Premium listed under Virus and Removal Tools. Are you running Malwarebytes Premium with real-time protection enabled or as on-demand only?

I don't think you need Malwarebytes Browser Guard with Edge Chromium since you have SmartScreen. On Chrome, I'd rather use Windows Defender Browser Protection as it is lighter. Depending on how you are running Malwarebytes Premium, you'd also have its Web Protection module which I'm a fan of.

Windows Backup and Restore has never failed me. I would get an external hard drive just so you can have an offline backup available along with your online backup to Google Drive.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You really need to edit your configuration:

Real time protection: KSC Free and ConfigureDefender? which is it?

On demand scanners: 2 premium, 5 total? Why so many and why premium? WiseVector is real time? or configured as on demand only?

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
You really need to edit your configuration:

Real time protection: KSC Free and ConfigureDefender? which is it?

On demand scanners: 2 premium, 5 total? Why so many and why premium? WiseVector is real time? or configured as on demand only?

Just KSC free (EDIT+ OSArmor) I thought Configure Defender altered a few non-real-time settings too. Wisevector does not run in real-time either.

Zemana was a free deal. I paid for Malwarebytes Premium ($5 for 4 years) before I switched to KSC Free. Given that none of them run in real-time, would you uninstall any of them? If so, which would you keep?

Last edited:

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
I would uninstall Zemana.
That leaves you with Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Malwarebytes Premium, HitmanPro, and WiseVector StopX. They are all good programs so I'm not sure which ones to keep. I would just pick 2 that you like and are familiar with and uninstall the others.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
That leaves you with Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Malwarebytes Premium, HitmanPro, and WiseVector StopX. They are all good programs so I'm not sure which ones to keep. I would just pick 2 that you like and are familiar with and uninstall the others.

This is a good place to start. (y) No one needs this many on-demand scanners. Either trust the program(s) you use, or don't use them.

Stay safe, not paranoid! 😎

I thought Configure Defender altered a few non-real-time settings too.

No, only real-time.

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019

Thanks, I'll uninstall Zemana, HitmanPro (since it's not paid it doesn't remove anything anyway) and WiseVector (I had it installed before KSC Free to trial it and switched off real-time protection later)

No, only real-time.

Ah, I didn't realise. do you recommend I uninstall it too?

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
REMOVED:

Kaspersky Security Cloud Free - Tried the premium free trial and hated Trusted Application / Application Control. It threw up random errors with some games I have installed from certain 'sources' until I'd whitelisted them. I don't like the idea of an antivirus simply breaking things without giving a proper warning notification.

NoVirusThanks OSArmor - See below.

KCleaner, PrivaZer - I think Wise Disk Cleaner has both of these covered and I'm aiming for a slimmer, lighter system.

ADDED:

F-Secure SAFE - Free 1-year licence. It's got good feedback on MWT so I thought I'd give it a try.

QUESTION - I removed NVT OSArmor just because it seems like one extra program running I probably don't need. Do the experts here recommend sticking with it in conjunction with F-Secure?

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
Updated to Windows 1909

ADDED
AOMEI Backupper Pro - weekly system backup (also created a boot USB)
Trace - Edge Dev extension
UAC set to Always Notify
FS Protection - Beta builds for the new version of F-Secure SAFE

REMOVED
Decentraleyes
Privacy Possum
F-Secure SAFE

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
I have a question:

I realised I'm currently using an admin account (not a standard one like I thought).

I don't really want the hassle of moving lots of settings/programs/startup items to a new, standard account.

Is it possible to create a new admin account instead then change my current admin account to a standard user?
Would that leave my current setup untouched but give me the extra security of a standard account?

EDIT - I tried it and it seems to have worked. Please let me know if there are any issues with this approach!

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I tried it and it seems to have worked. Please let me know if there are any issues with this approach!

You can easily check this by signing in to Admin account > Settings > Accounts > Family & others = it should say 'Local account". And you should see UAC prompt for password when elevation is needed while on local account.

Reactions: harlan4096

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
You can easily check this by signing in to Admin account > Settings > Accounts > Family & others = it should say 'Local account". And you should see UAC prompt for password when elevation is needed while on local account.

Thanks

It's working, but Throttlestop no longer appears to start when I log on. Is there a way to fix this?

Also, will my Aomei backups continue to run as scheduled now I need to enter the admin password to run the software?

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
but Throttlestop no longer appears to start when I log on. Is there a way to fix this?

I don't know this program. Is it hardware related? If so, you may have to start the GUI manually.

will my Aomei backups continue to run as scheduled now I need to enter the admin password to run the software?

Not sure what you mean... Yes, you should need admin password for Aomei and you can configure it from local account.

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
I don't know this program. Is it hardware related? If so, you may have to start the GUI manually.

It's CPU undervolting software that ran using task scheduler for my admin account. I can't work out how to get it to start when I look in under the SUA

Not sure what you mean... Yes, you should need admin password for Aomei and you can configure it from local account.

Yep, and will the scheduled backups still run automatically without requiring a password to start?

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.