SysHardener recommended settings
Periodic malware scanners
ON DEMAND:
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malwarebytes Premium
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge Dev Chromium with strict tracker blocking (main browser)
Chrome
Maintenance tools
ThrottleStop
Wisedisk Cleaner
CCleaner
Revo Uninstaller Pro
Bandzip
File and Photo backup
Google Back and Restore for documents and media
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Pro
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
MSI GS65 STEALTH 9SE-498TH, I7-9750H, 16 GB (8GB X2) DDR4 2666MHz,1 TB PCIe/NVMe M.2 SSD, NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 6 GB GDDR6

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
I use Intel XTU and had to create a basic Task in Task Scheduler. You can set it to start at every user log on. I set XTU to start w/Windows.
I created a new task for every user. The undervolt sticks but the tray icon is gone.

EDIT But I can't open the program as I get a message saying it's already running...

Reactions: harlan4096

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
What if you simply end task in Task Manager and then re-launch it from desktop? The one good thing about XTU is you only minimize it in order to get it into the tray. In fact you can exit out altogether and the undervolt stays active.

Also, if you are a Standard User Account now, is the task still running properly? If not, there's an article in MS TechNet about creating Tasks from an SUA if you search. The OP wanted it for ResMon but it seemed the tutorial in the thread worked for third party apps. It's for Windows 8.1 but prob. still is relevant. If not, simply delete it.

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
What if you simply end task in Task Manager and then re-launch it from desktop? The one good thing about XTU is you only minimize it in order to get it into the tray. In fact you can exit out altogether and the undervolt stays active.

Also, if you are a Standard User Account now, is the task still running properly? If not, there's an article in MS TechNet about creating Tasks from an SUA if you search. The OP wanted it for ResMon but it seemed the tutorial in the thread worked for third party apps. It's for Windows 8.1 but prob. still is relevant. If not, simply delete it.

Thanks for the advice.

I don't really want to have to end the task and relaunch it every time I start Windows.

The SUA also caused my Dragon Centre (MSI fan, battery, power monitoring) software to ask for a password every time on laptop boot.

I read your link, but that advice actually didn't seem to work for the guy who asked the question, however it did point to this article

How To Create a Shortcut That Lets a Standard User Run An Application as Administrator

I might give this a try sometime, but for now I've gone back to the admin account. I'm feeling too lazy to work out how to fix Dragon Centre too.

Thanks for the help.

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
Changes:

Added
YogaDNS - amazing program that lets me securely implement any DNS provider I wish, system-wide. I use it to run NextDNS DoH (the NextDNS Windows app was throwing up tons of errors). It also lets me specify a DNS provider on a per-domain basis, so I use it to resolve UK TV streaming services through my Smart DNS providers (I live abroad). Being able to visit the UK channels' websites and start streaming live TV, or watching catch-up, without having to do anything at all first is like some kind of black magic.

NextDNS DoH with various filter lists and security features enabled (the Windows anti-spy list blocks most Microsoft tracking in a softer way than O&O, I find)

Removed
O&O Shutup 10 - It breaks too many things. I'm happy with my other anti-tracking measures.

Updated to Windows version 2004.
Updated to Adguard 7.4 beta with the new Browser Assistant (fantastic program!)
Paid for Kaspersky Security Cloud for a year so that's also now my firewall too.

cliffspab

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
Didi you had that breaking with the recommended settings?
What are your "other anti-tracking measures"?

Yep, the recommended settings broke a couple of things in Edge Dev. One that I remember being the Secure Lookups flag not showing. But there were other things too

Other measures are the anti-tracking options in Edge Dev (strict), lists and stealth options in Adguard and lists options I've selected in NextDNS. That's all more than enough for me.

I forget the term, but my threat thingamajig doesn't really include strict tracking mitigation. I use Google and Microsoft products - I lost that battle long ago.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.