Advice Request Cloning Question

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankN209

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 30, 2016
I'm trying to clone a hard drive from a laptop. Both are 500gb. I'm using Aomei backerupper. Everything runs smooth until the end of the session. I get an error, not enough reserved space. Do I need to shrink the c: drive volume on the source drive to make this work?

Thanks again

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I'm trying to clone a hard drive from a laptop. Both are 500gb. I'm using Aomei backerupper. Everything runs smooth until the end of the session. I get an error, not enough reserved space. Do I need to shrink the c: drive volume on the source drive to make this work?

Thanks again
You shouldn't need to if they are the same size or bigger, but I have never used this software for cloning so you may have to wait for someone who employs this Aomei product sorry.
If it was a "Reflect" Cloning issue I would have been all over it for you :)
Good luck.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Does it stop cloning the drive, or is it just a warning message?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If it's at the end, then it should have finished cloning the drive. It sounds like the new drive has a slightly less capacity than the old one.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
roger_m said; If it's at the end, then it should have finished cloning the drive. It sounds like the new drive has a slightly less capacity than the old one.
That's the rub, very delicate operation, apparently! I ended up purchasing a cloning kit and it simplified the process immensely. The particular brand is APRICORN ASW-USB3-25 USB3.0 to SATA Adapter. It comes with the software to walk you quickly and easily through the process. I've used it at least 15 to 20 times and it never failed me. Doesn't matter the size of the drives it just works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.