Advice Request Cloud Backup or Physical Backup? Which one do you prefer?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cloud Backup or Physical Backup? Which one do you prefer?

• Cloud Backup

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • HDD/SSD

Votes: 39 67.2%

• Total voters

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Hey

I'm thinking about the best solution for me but this could help anyone. In the long term HDD/SSD is cheaper than the cloud solution. if you buy 2 pieces SSD/HDD that will boost the redundancy and reduce the data loss. Cloud solution is more convenient has its own advantages but need high speed connection to upload large files.

Tell me what do you think....

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Gotta follow that 3 + 2 + 1 rule @Thales ! :D:):)

Links for more information:

Backup Strategies: Why the 3-2-1 Backup Strategy is the Best

What is 3-2-1 backup?

External HDDs are great. Maybe throw on some encryption if your paranoid like me (I'm overly paranoid, but for good reason).

@Umbra got any great suggestions for cloud services? Do you do everything manually for syncing or do you use a cloud to cloud backup utility/service? I'm currently doing everything manually while following the 3+2+1 rule!

Edit: I use some serious levels of encryption before putting anything onto the Cloud... However, I'm LOCO COCO that way! hahaha All seriousness please do use encryption as you never know who may get a hold of your data! Don't want full images out in the open of your computer do ya'? Na'!

~Brian

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I use both as well... The cloud to save any file/document I'm currently working on so that I am sure I will not lose my work and that it will be available in whatever computer I happen to be using at the moment and an external HD for system images of my computers.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I don't have much luck with hard disks having experienced several drive failures either electronic or mechanical. Heck even a SSD has failed on me!

Therefore, I backup to about half a dozen cloud storage services and to NAS boxes at home. NAS is primary backup while Cloud service backups are secondary. All large media files, music, movies are backed up on NAS.

PS - All data backups to cloud, except Zoolz, Dropbox & Sync, are done using Duplicati and encrypted. List of Cloud providers:
a) Amazon Drive (Duplicati)
b) Mega - (Duplicati)
c) Google Drive (Duplicati)
d) pCloud (Duplicati & Native client for Cryptofolder). pCloud also backs up my Dropbox, Onedrive & Google Drive contents at regular intervals. Love that feature.
e) Zoolz Cold Storage (Native client)
f) Dropbox (Native client, some personal files encrypted using Cryptomator and Boxcryptor)
g) Sync (Native client)

Several other dormant and unused Cloud accounts which are not really relevant to this thread.

I am also currently considering signing up for Wasabi.

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
My Internet is slow and each backup is 7-15 GB so local backup is my only and preferred option. I bought a used enterprise SSD with an endurance rating of 2 PB for relatively cheap where I store my backups. I think at my current frequency backing up twice a week, this SSD would easily outlive me. Speed and convenience are more important. I also am a tinfoil hat who believes that cloud storage solutions never truly delete their contents when you press the delete button so I can't roll with that.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Hey

I'm thinking about the best solution for me but this could help anyone. In the long term HDD/SSD is cheaper than the cloud solution. if you buy 2 pieces SSD/HDD that will boost the redundancy and reduce the data loss. Cloud solution is more convenient has its own advantages but need high speed connection to upload large files.

Tell me what do you think....
For archive HDD is best. Usually, physical backup has fastest turnaround time and least waiting time unlike Coud sync and restore!
My Internet is slow and each backup is 7-15 GB so local backup is my only and preferred option. I bought a used enterprise SSD with an endurance rating of 2 PB for relatively cheap where I store my backups. I think at my current frequency backing up twice a week, this SSD would easily outlive me. Speed and convenience are more important. I also am a tinfoil hat who believes that cloud storage solutions never truly delete their contents when you press the delete button so I can't roll with that.
SSD are temp sensitive and colder temp might cause data integrity issues. Since you use it frequently the chance of data corruption is minimal.
Do you use Micron 1100 SSD?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
HDD and USB at the moment, I would prefer 256-512GB USB, but waiting for prices to drop a little. I recall buying 4GB for $20.
I recently bought waterproof Adata UV310 64GB for $20 (I wish, they would have at least 128GB), I also have a bulletproof Pretec. :D
By the way, I am also considering Backblaze. $50 per year for an unlimited storage and unlimited file size (very few services offer this).

Last edited:
L

Local Host

I use backups as last resort, in case there's a system failure.

So using HDD/SDD for backups, would go against the objective, cause if the HDD/SSD fails (house burned down as extreme example), there's no way to get that data back.

Not to mention with Cloud Backups I save space, on top of having backups of every file modification (which make restoring specific files prior to changes made 5 min. ago or even +24h ago a blessing).

Obviously the most important data, is also available on an USB Drive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

So using HDD/SDD for backups, would go against the objective, cause if the HDD/SSD fails (house burned down as extreme example), there's no way to get that data back.
I disagree, it isn't against the objective (if you care and store your external drive properly)
The situation you mentioned apply to cloud servers as well.
Data centers can burn too, servers can malfunction, or you may just lose your password/2FA, etc...
It is why using both is best practice.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.