cloud's Security Config

rienna

Level 2
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
You should try running a second or third on demand scanner (such as Malwarebytes Free and SuperAntispyware Free).
Comodo isn't 100% full-proof. Nothing is.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html

I've had luck with both. For me things that slip-past MAM Free have been caught by SAS Free.
Hence why I still use SAS Free.

As for the Mac, I'd get http://www.clamxav.com/ either from the official website there or the app-store (note the app-store version doesn't provide any option for file/folder monitoring so you only get the ability to run manual scans). Macs do get viruses. And there have been plenty of cases (hundreds and hundreds) outside of "testing labs" (real world infections) despite what lies I've seen get spread around forums (including here).

On linux I don't know if others do this but I know Ubuntu has ClamAV built-in, so I would go to the app store or whatever your distro calls it, and grab ClamTK, then before running it I would open a terminal and type "sudo freshclam" to make sure it's 100% up to date then I'd open ClamTK and run a scan.

This way you can assure that all of your systems are clean of infections.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No need to panic, try first a tool like Adwcleaner to detect and remove the traces of adware based.

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Why not scan also using your current realtime protection, a proper configuration shouldn't make the scenario worse enough.

Now if still persist then suggest go to the link posted for malware removal assistance.

cloud

Thread author
May 10, 2015
You should try running a second or third on demand scanner (such as Malwarebytes Free and SuperAntispyware Free).
Comodo isn't 100% full-proof. Nothing is.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html

I've had luck with both. For me things that slip-past MAM Free have been caught by SAS Free.
Hence why I still use SAS Free.

As for the Mac, I'd get http://www.clamxav.com/ either from the official website there or the app-store (note the app-store version doesn't provide any option for file/folder monitoring so you only get the ability to run manual scans). Macs do get viruses. And there have been plenty of cases (hundreds and hundreds) outside of "testing labs" (real world infections) despite what lies I've seen get spread around forums (including here).

On linux I don't know if others do this but I know Ubuntu has ClamAV built-in, so I would go to the app store or whatever your distro calls it, and grab ClamTK, then before running it I would open a terminal and type "sudo freshclam" to make sure it's 100% up to date then I'd open ClamTK and run a scan.

This way you can assure that all of your systems are clean of infections.

Thank you for your reply, but I am unable to open any links you have quoted.

I want to be safe from all those browser hijackers and popups.

Last edited by a moderator:

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Cloud, I'm nowhere near an expert on infections, but perhaps I can help. If this problem is on Windows, I would download Panda Cloud AV. It's completely free and has very good detection and cleanup. Install it and see what it says. After that is when I would go on and try MBAM (Malwarebytes Antimalware). Now, please be careful when searching for them on Google. In the case of Panda, its website is listed right at the top of the results. Sometimes though Google will put an ad up there so watch where you click. Chances are you have some silly little browser toolbar/addon that got installed with another program that is causing this spam nightmare. They are annoying, but usually not very dangerous. They are also usually easily removed.

Now, to avoid things like this in the future, there are a few things you can do.

1. When you download programs, try to download them directly from the vendor website. Anymore these days they send you to a third-party like Sourceforge or CNET Download regardless, but try. If it does have to come from somewhere like CNET Download, watch for any check-boxes during the opening of the file or installation of the program. You need to do this regardless of where you download a file because these days vendors often bundle other products and services with their program

2. Use "Click-to-Play" for Flash in Chrome if you are still using that browser. You can do that by going to Settings, clicking Advanced Settings at the bottom, then under Privacy you want to click Content Settings and choose "Let me choose when to run plugin content". This will avoid possibly malicious Flash ads that are an all too common entry for malware infections.

3. Run a program like Sandboxie, that is capable of discarding any unwanted changes to the browser or computer during a session.

Another reason I think Panda is a good idea, is because it has web scanning capability that can keep bad websites at bay. Be aware that Panda URL scanning by default comes with a toolbar, but it is rather harmless and easily removed through the control panel. The nice thing is, removing the toolbar does not remove URL scanning ;)

I hope I've helped in any small way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Greetings @cloud!:) My wish is for you to both enjoy & draw upon the many benefits & gifts of knowledge already offered you from many experienced and wonderfully helpful members of this community!:p Rather than add further advice at this time, I shall endeavor to offer encouragement.:):) If you have any further questions, or a need to ask some specific directions, you can ask a question either here or by <clicking> on any of our user names to send a 'personal message'. We will do all that's possible to help you plot a practical course which can set you right!:) Thanks for joining along with all of us!
Your new friends,
here at MalwareTips.:D

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
What version of Windows are you running? XP,Vista,7 SP1,8/8.1 Dual boot?
Is UAC enabled? If not enable it
Any on demand scanners such as Malwarebytes Antimalware,Hitman Pro,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,etc.
CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed
Some type of back up solution
Consider adding Sandboxie Free and browse sandboxed

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.