CNET Warning

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Just a heads up - I've found a couple of reviews on CNET.com that have links in them that are actually redirects to malware downloads. The Panda Free review has one - it says AV-Comparatives.org, but it's a redirect to someplace you don't want to go. Be careful while on CNET.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you use an adblocker, you probably will never see the links.
Cnet has these ads with the word "Download" on product download pages.

Users who don't pay attention can click on the ads thinking they are downloading the program of their choice. Other download sites have these deceptive ads as well. Thank goodness for adblockers.

Thanks.:D

Reactions: Kent

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Their news can be an ok part but not the download sections, since its likely bundled with unknown stuffs and created their own installer version.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Littlebits said:
If you use an adblocker, you probably will never see the links.
Cnet has these ads with the word "Download" on product download pages.

Users who don't pay attention can click on the ads thinking they are downloading the program of their choice. Other download sites have these deceptive ads as well. Thank goodness for adblockers.

Use ABP. This was a highlighted text in a sentence in a review. Look up the CNET review for Panda Free AV---it's in that article in a sentence that's reads, "To see Panda's protection score go to AV-Comparatives.org." If you click that, you'll get a redirect to a page telling you to download some type of player in order to view the page where you thought you were going in the first place---namely AV-Comparatives.org. You can tell it's just a redirect to malware download. WOT flagged it and so did Bitdefender.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
DrBeenGolfing: I've checked the review of Panda Free AV from CNET and just stumbled the misspelled word of AV-Comparatives. (No Adblock installed)

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
"Performance
We have to confess that Panda Cloud Antivirus 2.0's benchmarks surprised us. We expected it to leave a small footprint on the system, but not be particularly effective at stopping threats. In fact, the benchmarks tell the opposite tale.

Two independent testing organizations placed Cloud AV 1.5.2, the most recent version for which test results are available, much higher on its efficacy charts than we expected it to be. AV-Test gave Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.5.2 a 14.5 out of 18, a very respectable score. It was made even more noteworthy because it outperformed its cousin, Panda Internet Security, which only earned a 13.5 out of 18.

AV-Comparitives gave the same version of Cloud Antivirus a "Advanced" rating, finding it 97.1 percent effective at blocking threats with minimal false positives.

Read more: Panda Cloud Antivirus Free Edition - CNET Download.com http://download.cnet.com/Panda-Cloud-Antivirus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10914099.html#ixzz2SOWHzIK6

Yeah, it is misspelled - they must have hacked CNET's system - no telling how many articles/reviews have been poisoned on CNET now.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I just saw the link to AV-Comparatives and it worked even with Adblock Plus installed, I believe this is just an honest mistake because CNet misspelled the url address. The correct address should be http://www.av-comparatives.org/ not hxxp://av-comparitives.org/ which is redirected to hxxp://ultimate-downloads.com.

Good thing this site is already blocked by many AV's and WOT.
http://www.webutation.net/go/review/ultimate-downloads.com

However I wonder why SmartSceen Filter on IE, Google Safe Browsing and others don't detect it.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
With WOT and Bit defender turned off, you'll get a page that won't let you do anything but click the install button. I had to shut the computer down to get out of it.
And, if you click that link on a android os, you get redirected to Amazon local UK.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
People still use Download.com? :rolleyes:

I stopped using them close to 3 years ago after they started bundling downloads with their slow ad-infested, offer infested, trace making CNET installer which doubled the time to install the software you actually wanted.

I went ahead and clicked on the link you fellas are talking about and I got redirected to 3 different completely non-related (long URL's with referral links) junk websites ending finally at a car dealership website instead of AV-Comparatives.

If you're looking for great download websites try FileHippo, Softpedia and MajorGeeks all of which I use without issues.

Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Users may refer to CNET for Product Reviews and visit the links to for more details, so yes, I do believe many still use CNET site.

I get redirected to a Fake Flash Player update:
[attachment=4353]

Attachments

• fakeflash.PNG
    fakeflash.PNG
    88 KB · Views: 518

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
That's one of the redirects.
Funny, when on that page in Opera and SlimBrowser, I was able to hit the back arrow and get out of it, but using IE10 it locked the screen and had to shut down the computer.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm able to close the IE10 without problems, could be an isolated issue on your part?

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Windows 7 here, so that might be the difference. SlimBrowser uses the IE10 engine but modified a bit.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Okay.

Has anyone reported this to CNET? I can't find a Contact Us without having to Log in.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
I filled out the form to send to their editor in chief but the thing wouldn't send. Back to baseball.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's strange, misspelled website turned to be detected from user agent string of browsers.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
filehippo.com, filehorse.com, majorgeeks.com, downloadcrew.com..... lots of good websites options available ....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.