User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
ReHIPS
Windows Defender AV
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Windows Defender AV managed with Windows Firewall Control and Andy Ful's ConfigureDefender
Periodic malware scanners
None
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox
Chrome
Internet Explorer
Edge
Maintenance tools
None
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
'@Max SyncUp
Backup to external drives
Backup to cloud storage expected to start as from August 2019
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
Dell Inspiron 5482
8GB RAM
Intel i7 8565U

ColonelMal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
I'm considering starting to use ReHIPS. However, I would like to reduce as much as possible any other security software that I have that would be unnecessary if i install reHIPS.

I know little about ReHIPS and about exactly what may be required of me as a user. However, I read here and there mostly positive comments about it, but also that it's not very easy to configure.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
If you add ReHIPS, uninstall VoodooShield.In windows 10, you don't need Sandboxie and I would recommend you to uninstall it. To be honest, you don't need any other software with Bitdefender. But for your peace of mind, you can run VoodooShield along with it.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@ColonelMal:
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: MalWareBytes Free, EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit and HitManPro Free.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may add also a VPN service (if needed).
  • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :giggle:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Only suggestions I have is install NVT Syshardener and Emsisoft Browser Security extension for your web browser, otherwise sweet config!

~LDogg

ColonelMal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
Only suggestions I have is install NVT Syshardener and Emsisoft Browser Security extension for your web browser, otherwise sweet config!

~LDogg
Thank you for the comments. My fear is that these programs may cause unexpected behavior, not nexessarily bad, which however a non-sophisticated user, like me, may find difficult to resolve.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Thank you for the comments. My fear is that these programs may cause unexpected behavior, not nexessarily bad, which however a non-sophisticated user, like me, may find difficult to resolve.

I would suggest not using ReHips if you are not a sophisticated user. VoodooShield is much more user-friendly and is a perfect companion for Windows Defender, especially if WD is used at default settings. Always read FAQ section & User Guides prior to using any software and get familiar with the UI as well. (y):)

Stay safe, not paranoid - my friend!

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Fair enough my friend, however Emsisoft Browser Security is easy to use, install and forget.

~LDogg

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.