com surrogate: microsoft or malware? (unexpert here)

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
hi everyone,sorry but i don't know where else to post. sorry if i am wrong to post here
but i am not experincing any issue so i don't wanto to bother TwinEagle.
i googoled and found that com surrogate may be safe but could be a malware.
in the picture you can see the process and that it is signed by microsoft.
since i can barely turn on a pc, i would ask you if so it is safe or could be a malware that hide behind microsoft?
thank you sorry for bothering
ivg8rs.png

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
thank you very much i think i got it pretty good.
anyway i am not experiencing crashes..just exploring my new pc and found those processes
thank you again

Reactions: Roksana

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
COM Surrogate is safe since it originate from Microsoft + a hard time for malware writers to get a digital signature from Microsoft itself considering of so many factors.

Com Surrogate is one of the core important factors of the Windows, because majority of functions rely on that process in order to avoid any problematic operations. To avoid deadlock or waiting process then Com Surrogate must provide a quick operation on what will be the next stage.

Malware that try to propagate Com Surrogate will suffer failure because of intensive resource usage that can affect the stability of the system and very common on that symptoms when you are infected.

Reactions: Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
thank you again.
i found a tool : "should i block it?" that may help to distinguish this kind of things. can i trust it?
thank you

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.