ComboFix in a fresh VM

exCode

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
So guys, what do you think would happen if I ran ComboFix in a fresh VM? I have seen all this stuff about "Do not run ComboFix if you aren't under supervision" and I got to thinking about what would happen. Also, why is it so dangerous?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The meaning of aren't under supervision is where the tool should use upon the approval of expert, the removal capabilities is aggressive that can kill legitimate functions.

That's why, removal experts needs to diagnose the report of the system before applying any tools.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Since you have a fresh VM, you could just take a snapshot of your current status and run combofix to see if there are any detections and if removing the detection causes any loss of functionality. If so you can just revert back to the snapshot of before ever running combofix, good as new.

Reactions: Myriad

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I've run it many times on many diferent systems and never had a problem. I think they are just warning you that it's a powerful tool capable of doing harm to your system if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited:

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
If your VM is correctly setup you can do anything you like to it , without any risk to the host system.

The only exception I can think of is possibly if you have enabled shared folders , clipboard , drag-and-drop etc.
Other than that , feel free to go nutso .

You can utterly trash the VM and be up and running again in mere seconds .... such great fun !

In Linux I like to dream up the most stupidly dangerous commands possible , and then execute them ( as root of course :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: askmark and Jack

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
In Linux I like to dream up the most stupidly dangerous commands possible , and then execute them ( as root of course :) )

Talking of dangerous commands, when I was a Unix admin, back in the 90's, a colleague of mine accidentally ran the command "rm -r *" from the root folder of one of our Servers. This systematically wiped out every file on the filesystem until the OS died because it had removed itself!
I had to rebuild the OS from scratch and restore all the data from tape backups. Not much fun I can tell you.

Reactions: Myriad

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
@askmark

Yes , that is the very type of command I was thinking of , with wildcards for extra delicious vandalism :)

Sit back and watch the OS eat itself from the inside out !

Got to love VMs , for just that sort of scenario ....

Reactions: askmark

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.