Commodore 64 Mini Console Announced

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Classic home computer the Commodore 64 is staging a comeback - this time as a fully-licensed "mini" version.

Clocking in at 50% the size of the original Commodore 64, the C64 Mini is a smaller recreation of the much-loved 1982 console, updated for modern audiences with high-definition output via HDMI, a bundled joystick and two USB ports for keyboards or additional joysticks.

The mini-console also provides some extra bang for your buck with the addition of 64 Commodore classics; Uridium, Paradroid, Monty Mole and Hawkeye are all there along with a pretty wide-ranging selection of other favourites. You can see the whole list on the C64 Mini website.

Designed and made by Retro Games and published by Koch Media, the console is expected to be available in "early 2018" at a recommended price of £69.99/$69.99/€79.99. A full-sized version is also promised "in 2018", presumably following at some point after the launch of the C64 Mini.

The original Commodore 64 was one of the most successful home computers of the 80s, listed in the Guinness World Records as the highest-selling single computer model of all time; independent estimates place sales between 10 and 17 million over the original model's lifespan.

Orders are now live through the C64 website.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
^^^....yeahhh... games (and everything else) had to be stored on an audio cassette
or on an big 5.25'' (or small 3,5'') floppy disk (capacity: 700 kb or 1,4 Mbyte). Yes: this may take a while.... :D

back in the 80's i had to use simple cassette recorder to save or load anything that was running on my first so called "Personal computers". My first machines were: "commodore c64", "sinclair ZX81", and "sinclair ZX spectrum plus".

Last edited:

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I actually still have my C64 from 1982 stashed in a cupboard somewhere... And it still works!

Had Football Manager (by Kevin Toms) where the entire thing was written in basic. It took HALF AN HOUR to load:oops: But I got many hours out of that - then of course there was the 'ported' version of Elite. Loved that too!:)

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
Nice to see Creatures in the list, but where's Jeff Minter (Sheep in Space etc)? Duke Nukem? And how am I going to put Mayhem up? TMNT? Marble Madness?

A quick shufti at the C64 Mini site shows no indication of customer interaction yet. Fortunately I didn't throw my last real computer, so we can still exhume it :) and play some real games... I've even got a spreadsheet and word processor :p

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.