Common sense, the best defense.

L

LabZero

Thread author
I will always recommend AV as a basic protection but, most of the time, you already have another valuable defense: Common Sense.

common_sense.jpg

N

NullByte

Thread author
Best advice ever and it works 100% on linux (I can confirm), it's same on windows too.

The current antimalware companies trend is to provide sophisticated fake service giving a false sense of security (through fake products and delirium publications) and since last time they started using their users database as a part of mass media campaigns. There is no big difference between malware and antimalware in general. They all - potentially unwanted applications. - EP_X0FF

I have to say that an AdBlocker is a must, beside that it's up to you.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Intermediate\advanced user develops "common sense" = knowledge gained via experience.

Novice - well - they don't know any better. "Hey - look mom - no hands - it's plug-and-play security !"

At least a n00b is trying to learn...

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I agree with your post, but the problem with brain : it can't be transplanted :confused:

I know a person with a good AV but that often had problems of malware / PUP installed.
One day, I visited him at home to see what was wrong.
What I discovered :
=> when he needed a program, he was downloaded it from the bad domain (like first link seen on google search results) "because the URLs started with the name of the prog", and when installing it, he was clicking on all "next" buttons, without take care that check-boxes for PUP software was presents, and checked by default.
=> 4 x 4 PUP installed :'(
=> " You've seen DardiM, I made all right, my AV is so bad"

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I totally agree. Most of time times common sense will prevent you from getting infected. But i still recommend a security software to protects your systems. I have lots of friends/family/work people who, under the "i need no AV, i know what i'm doing", got infected with a friend's USB or by PUP.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I will always recommend AV as a basic protection but, most of the time, you already have another valuable defense: Common Sense.

" Common sense " ?

No such thing ..... not on this planet anyway.

Common stupidity exists ..... it is everywhere , good sense is rare !

Turn on the TV news to see the evidence .... 24/7

Frank Zappa reckoned the scientists were right in theory but wrong in fact ...
The Universe is made out of stupidity , the most abundant thing , and not hydrogen

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Honestly I came along way. I used to have so many kinds of software but now I have one + my brain
Same here, used to have my main antivirus, a couple of real time protection ones, anti executables, and lots of.. useless stuff actually. Now i use Norton as my main antivirus, and some privacy extensions.

L

LabZero

Thread author
" Common sense " ?

No such thing ..... not on this planet anyway.

Common stupidity exists ..... it is everywhere , good sense is rare !

Turn on the TV news to see the evidence .... 24/7

Frank Zappa reckoned the scientists were right in theory but wrong in fact ...
The Universe is made out of stupidity , the most abundant thing , and not hydrogen
Total online security doesn't exist. But the opposite is also true: total danger doesn't exist.

You say that common sense is not very common in normal life, so we can imagine in the digital one...true.

Well, I think that we are not genetically prepared to deal with the web.
In the web often we do not notice anything because we haven't developed those instincts that allow us to recognize the dangers: we are cool at home, on our Pc and we do not realize that many psychological mechanisms are put in place by the attackers or malware are ready to infect.
The topics with which they capture our attention are classic: sex, money,fear... we lower our defenses and their attack.
The internet has changed, becoming more and more pervasive in our lives, everything is moving online, and this increases the risks and dangers.

That's the reason of this thread: welcome common sense!

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Total online security doesn't exist. But the opposite is also true: total danger doesn't exist.

You say that common sense is not very common in normal life, so we can imagine in the digital one...true.

Well, I think that we are not genetically prepared to deal with the web.
In the web often we do not notice anything because we haven't developed those instincts that allow us to recognize the dangers: we are cool at home, on our Pc and we do not realize that many psychological mechanisms are put in place by the attackers or malware are ready to infect.
The topics with which they capture our attention are classic: sex, money,fear... we lower our defenses and their attack.
The internet has changed, becoming more and more pervasive in our lives, everything is moving online, and this increases the risks and dangers.

That's the reason of this thread: welcome common sense!

"The details a computer must have to achieve informatic invulnerability require:

·Be installed 20 mts under the ground
·Not being connected to any other system
·Be isolated from the outside inside a pressurized concrete structure
·Count with an autonomous electric system"
-Informatics Security Online Blog (source)

L

LabZero

Thread author
"The details a computer must have to achieve informatic invulnerability require:

·Be installed 20 mts under the ground
·Not being connected to any other system
·Be isolated from the outside inside a pressurized concrete structure
·Count with an autonomous electric system"
-Informatics Security Online Blog (source)
:) Yes but..
"It is 100% safe system but 0% operational,which contradicts the definition of information security,which aims to increase safety by keeping part of the operation."

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ummmmmm... i disagree, common sense won't help you against a faked legit installer with signed certificate uploaded on the hacked vendor website... (example : Linux Mint ISO modified with RAT)

P.S: this post was just made to kill the buzz here :p

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Common Sense -
For some, use brain
For some, spend few dollars (security software) & all done.
For some, use free (security software) & all done.
For some, multiple common sense...one part of their brain says, it could be malware, the other says, I dont think so, And other mostly wins, well I used the best common sense & look what happened...its better to hire common sense, free common sense (security software A), A failed, they are right, free common sense (security software) are not good...I was right, its better to hire common sense, paid common sense (security software B), B failed, I should have listened to my frds, they have common sense (security software K) & no probs...common sense (security software K), K failed, why its happening to me?...common sense (both part of their brain)...this house is haunted.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.