Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
#2 BitDefender has a better "ratings" and cheaper.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Why would that be at the top. I thought that Kaspersky would be higher same with Norton and Trend Micro.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Top Ten Reviews is NOT a review site, they are a paid advertiser site.
Vendors simply slip them some money and they get the highest ratings.

"They make fake reviews to promote their paid advertisers. Some reviews promote rogue or less efficient software. They don't review freeware products which many times are better than the paid products that they give an excellent review to. "

Check out the Comment statistics on WOT

image006c.png

Not even one Green commit.
Would you trust this site??

Thanks.:D

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I remember this website, In the past they said RegCure was the best registry cleaner and once they promoted a rogue antivirus without knowing.

Ha... things people will do for money :rolleyes:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Moral of the story, don't believe everything you see. Actually... don't believe anything.

Cool idea to make money though.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
MrXidus said:
I remember this website, In the past they said RegCure was the best registry cleaner and once they promoted a rogue antivirus without knowing.

Ha, ha, I remember the rogue Antivirus they promoted it was rank #1.
It was call "The Shield Deluxe", it used Comodo as its firewall and BitDefender's AV engine. It would download and install malware in the background while using the trial version to try to get you to buy it to remove what it installed. BitDefender still continues to license their engine to it knowing it is a rogue product. Comodo licensed their firewall to it as well. Shame on both of them.

Here is its website- hxxp://www.pcsecurityshield.com/PP/dspShieldDeluxe.aspx

WOT- http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/pcsecurityshield.com

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
:lolz:
Norton Gets overall rating of 1.5 stars and Comodo gets ease of use as 5 stars?! That is not fair. I suggest changing the title from "2012 Personal Firewall Software Product Comparisons" to "Who paid us the highest amount of money?" :p

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
It's fine with me as long it's not Bitdefender that always dominating the top pick as far i can remember.
I have no doubt about the performance of Comodo's firewall, coming above the likes of Bitdefender, Outpost, Kaspersky, ZoneAlarm etc..

I would rated it myself as being among the top three in this category but TopTenReviews' top picks has always been a controversial subjects among security enthusiasts. Apart from RegCure, at one time it was promoting Evidence Eliminator as the #1 Privacy Cleaning software which was also a rogue product.

You can actually get the best from Comodo Firewall free version, basically they have the same features.
It's really funny by looking at the sale statistics, was this for real?

Proportion of people who buy the product
Comodo Internet Security Plus: 92.30%
Bitdefender Internet Security: 0.00%
Agnitum Outpost Pro Firewall: 0.00%
Kaspersky Internet Security: 0.30%
ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall: 4.70%
Online Armor Premium: 2.70%
Norton Internet Security: 0.00%
Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security: 0.00%

Be honest how many of you guys here would end up paying for the Comodo suite after seeing this chart?
If it was a personal choice, for the price and performance ZoneAlarm Pro will be a good buy but then again its has its own share of downside not forgetting there are really good free firewall available if anyone prefers going for a layered security approached.

I'll bet there are those who's going gaga each time a particular products is rated at the #1 spot be it either top picks or comparatives by testing organizations there's likely a marketing strategy going on behind the scenes.

Thanks

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well yes Comodo does have a great Firewall capabilities but in reality too there are some great when it comes on usability.

D

Deleted member 178

MrXidus said:

They have the right to do it, they don't broke any laws; there is just plenty of naive people that may blindly believe in them (same can be said for politicians, sports, etc...). :D

If they gains benefits from doing that, good for them, after all business is just business and business is not the best field for honest behaviors

Z

ZeroDay

umbrapolaris said:
MrXidus said:

They have the right to do it, they don't broke any laws; there is just plenty of naive people that may blindly believe in them (same can be said for politicians, sports, etc...). :D

If they gains benefits from doing that, good for them, after all business is just business and business is not the best field for honest behaviors

I wouldn't have thought they will gain any benifits from being top ten reviews top pick, if anything I would say it'll go the other way.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Another Comodo conspiracy, people really need to breathe and relax :)

Next week's News:

Melih responsible for writing Mayan Calendar :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
NSG001 said:
Another Comodo conspiracy, people really need to breathe and relax :)

Next week's News:

Melih responsible for writing Mayan Calendar :)

This is NOT an issue with Comodo, it is a fact that TopTenReviews is a crap advertiser site. I'm sure Comodo paid them for the number 1 spot, but I don't blame Comodo for trying to advertise their paid products to support free development of their free products. They just need to choose a more reliable source.

If I was a software vendor, I would demand TopTenReviews to remove my products from their listings. It makes the vendors look bad, anyone with basic common knowledge about software can see right through TopTenReviews scam.

P

Plexx

wasnt there another site similar to toptenreviews? I remember seeing it the other day.
Think it was http://www.laptopmag.com
however a quick check again and seems to be powered by toptenreviews.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2011
I always think there is an amount of purchasing positive reviews going around in the industry. I don't know about this site in particular but I have heard from some of our Symantec dealers that it's really just the way the business is handled. Again the topten review was just for the firewall portion and not the AV itself which is not highly rated by any site.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
What are the best legit review sites that you all recommend?

Fiona_scrol

Mar 14, 2012
Littlebits said:
Top Ten Reviews is NOT a review site, they are a paid advertiser site.
Vendors simply slip them some money and they get the highest ratings.

"They make fake reviews to promote their paid advertisers. Some reviews promote rogue or less efficient software. They don't review freeware products which many times are better than the paid products that they give an excellent review to. "

Check out the Comment statistics on WOT

image006c.png

Not even one Green commit.
Would you trust this site??

:D That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.