Advice Request Comodo-Bitdefender Clash

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JoseyWales

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Earlier this year, I decided to experiment with Comodo's various product for my own personal evaluation and ease of system setup/integrations/operations. Upon earlier readings, I first decided to just work with Comodo's Firewall (CW)..and use Bitdefender's Anti-Virus as a companion to my system/network. I soon discovered that Bitdefender requested that Comodo products and services be removed before continuing the installation. So I opted to leave Bitdefender out of the setups.

Can anyone provide me with answers to this issue ? Could it be the HIPS service (which I didnt get a HIPS warning at the time of the BitDef install)...?
PS- of late, I'm of the mindset that, while posters don't give Comodo's AV part of their Security Suite high regards, Comodo's AV section is created to learn and grow with the times, and that the CAV currently relies on the containment for anything it doesn't trust.....for in all my readings, all users have found Comodo's containment to be infallible.

Reactions: AtlBo and vtqhtr413

JoseyWales

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
I think you should install BD first before CF.
well, tbh...earlier this year I tried to install Bitdefender's free AV version and my system wouldn't allow a successful login to complete the installation process (only recently I've read that alot of users had the same experience and the solution was to use another DNS, googleDNS or OpenDNS)

But my question is why exactly did Bitdefender cease installation when it discovered Comodo's defenses running on my system.

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

JoseyWales

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Maybe incompatibility I guess? I don't know about the other AVs but Kaspersky also don't want to install when it detects comodo was running.
Then this is telling me that both Bitdefender and Kaspersky BOTH have found a clash with their software interacting with Comodo, whether is simply a memory address or scanning clash....that answers my question. If more than one AV provider finds conflicting operation stats w/CFW/CIS.....I will continue to use Comodo throughout the year to see how it will grow and improvise, being that I'm generally a 'safe surfer' to a degree. I have a crystal ball but I havent the foggiest idea how to use it.

Reactions: AtlBo

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Josey- You will see stuff like this often- when you install certain AV products (AV based, primarily) they will look for the fingerprints of other AV products. Essentially this is nothing but a "PLEASE DON"T USE 2 AV PRODUCTS SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!!!".

In your case, BD does not distinguish between CIS (with a Local AV scanner) from CF (which only has a Cloud AV- something that does not interfere with anything). This is why the alert occurs- it has NOTHING to do with the HIPS, Firewall, Or Sandbox.

JoseyWales

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Josey- You will see stuff like this often- when you install certain AV products (AV based, primarily) they will look for the fingerprints of other AV products. Essentially this is nothing but a "PLEASE DON"T USE 2 AV PRODUCTS SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!!!".

In your case, BD does not distinguish between CIS (with a Local AV scanner) from CF (which only has a Cloud AV- something that does not interfere with anything). This is why the alert occurs- it has NOTHING to do with the HIPS, Firewall, Or Sandbox.
Earlier I discovered precisely what you're bringing up....well known AV apps simply do their work alone and not as a companion app setup. I can understand this now, other than at the time of my option test, all I was using was the Comodo firewall standalone....albeit I believe the containment and hip options were standard-

JoseyWales

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Here's my typical windows setup, including hibernate removal and options for DNS settings that I disable while the fresh copy is still offline...I also disable anything that has to do with Ip6 settings and permissions-
Computer Browser (manual) (finds other PCs in the network)
Distributed Link Tracking Client (automatic) (maintain shortcuts if source file name has changed)
DNS client (automatic) (caches previously looked up domain names)
Family Safety (manual) (compatability stub for Vista apps)
Function Discovery Provider Host (manual) (HomeGroup)
Function discovery resource publication (manual) (HomeGroup)
HomeGroup Listener (manual) (HomeGroup)
HomeGroup Provider (manual) (HomeGroup)
Internet Connection Sharing (disabled) (makes PC act as router)
IP Helper (automatic) (IPv6 tunneling)
KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator (manual) (MS recommends to stop this service if not needed)
Link Layer Topology discovery mapper (manual) (network discovery)
Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service (manual) (allows LAN or Internet based storage)
Net. TCP port Sharing service (disabled)
NetLogon (manual) (logon to Windows Server)
Network Access Protection Agent (manual) (reports security configuration)
Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup (manual) (autosetup devices in the network)
Network Connectivity Assistant (manual) (works with DirectAccess to provide setup of network devices. Relies on DNS client, IP Helper, Network Store Interface Service and Base Filtering Engine)
Peer Name Resolution Protocol (manual)
Peer Networking Grouping (manual) (HomeGroup, remote assistance)
Peer Networking Identity Mgr (manual) (HomeGroup, remote assistance)
Performance Counter DLL Host (manual) (allows remote query to performance counters)
Performance Logs & Alerts (manual) (collects remote and local perf data)
PNRP Machine Name Publication Service (manual) (server that responds with a machine name)
Printer Extensions and Notifications (manual) (receives input from remote printers and runs printer custom dialog boxes. Runs as LocalSystem if exploited)
Quality Windows Audio Video Experience (manual) (multimedia server)
Remote Access Auto Connection Mgr (manual)
Remote Access Connection Manager (manual) (dialup, VPN)
Remote Desktop Configuration (manual)
Remote Desktop Service (manual) (server allowing remote control)
Remote Desktop Service UserMode Port Redirector (manual)
Remote Registry (disabled) (allow remote PCs to modify your registry)
Routing and Remote Access (disabled)
Secondary logon (manual) (allow command line runas option to run programs as admin)
Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol service (manual) (VPN)
Sensor Monitoring Service (manual) (disable if you don't have any light sensors etc)
Server (automatic) (HomeGroup, File and Printer Sharing)
SNMP Trap (manual)
SSDP Discovery (manual)
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (automatic)
Telephony (manual) (affects Remote Access Connection mgr/ VPN)
UPnP Device host (manual)
Web Client (manual)
Windows Connect Now Config Registra (manual) (Wireless Setup - simplified configuration)
Windows Error Reporting Service (manual) (reports system problems to MS and fetches solutions)
Windows Event Collector (manual) (allow remote subscription to log events)
Windows Media Player Network Sharing service (manual)
Windows Remote Management (manual) (Server, listens for remote requests )
WMI Performance Adapter (manual) (provides performance data to other PC collecting it)
Work Folders (manual) (sync folders with server)
Workstation (automatic) (HomeGroup, AD)
Disable all references to Ip6
Windows Internet Options set to Med-High Security
UAC settings to full
Remove Hibernate File - powercfg.exe -h off

-Permit internet trafficking at this point-

Install preferred security suite at the first online connection(ie Comodo Premium)
Setup standard user account...log onto that account to complete system setups
Setup preferred browser(ie Dragon/Opera)
Setup preferred email app
Always use the standard account for the remainder of your system usage.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You are trying to make a combo with 2 very finicky products.
Bitdefender is intolerant of many other security softs, and the same is true with Comodo.
Putting them together is asking for trouble.

Earlier this year, I decided to experiment with Comodo's various product for my own personal evaluation and ease of system setup/integrations/operations. Upon earlier readings, I first decided to just work with Comodo's Firewall (CW)..and use Bitdefender's Anti-Virus as a companion to my system/network. I soon discovered that Bitdefender requested that Comodo products and services be removed before continuing the installation. So I opted to leave Bitdefender out of the setups.

Can anyone provide me with answers to this issue ? Could it be the HIPS service (which I didnt get a HIPS warning at the time of the BitDef install)...?
PS- of late, I'm of the mindset that, while posters don't give Comodo's AV part of their Security Suite high regards, Comodo's AV section is created to learn and grow with the times, and that the CAV currently relies on the containment for anything it doesn't trust.....for in all my readings, all users have found Comodo's containment to be infallible.

Bitdefender is programmed to detect COMODO and request you to uninstall it. Conflicts.

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Forticlient has no issues if anyone is looking for an a-v option. Excellent web filtering and signature monitoring. Never had any trouble with Avast either.

I notice Kas and Bitdefender seem to be going with lower and lower level control mechanisms which are more and more complex. At the same time, maybe they are becoming less and less tolerant of the presence of potential interruption of their program's activities on a system.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
The other day, just to test it, I wanted to install Kaspersky Free on SD with Comodo Firewall and I did not finish the installation. The truth is that I do not know why it was not installed, because it was in SD or because it detected Comodo Firewall.:unsure:

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The other day, just to test it, I wanted to install Kaspersky Free on SD with Comodo Firewall and I did not finish the installation. The truth is that I do not know why it was not installed, because it was in SD or because it detected Comodo Firewall.:unsure:

You need to uninstall CF and then install KFA. Many members have mentioned this. Bitdefender Free is the same. I needed to uninstall ZAM first. Some AVs are like this, others are not.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
kaspersky free with Osarmor is the best comobo. You not need comodo with Kaspersky

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
For bitdefender it is not worth to use a product that the company does not update its product for three years. It is a safe product for the average user but with a lot of problems.Ηuge memory usage ,it has no options, need manyspace on the disk,.delays on boot time,weak at zero day virus, and delayed virus signatures from pro versions. But if one person want it the only safe combo without problems is with VoodooShield

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.