App Review Comodo Cleaning Essentials 2.4: Detection and Removal

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Comodo Cleaning Essentials 2.4: Detection and Removal
Video Review uploaded to YouTube by MalwareGeek

Kindly N.B.
The review of this software is not carried out by me.
Any questions or criticisms should be directed to the author of the video.
These videos are posted for the communities education and for entertainment value only :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Not a great review compared to most he does.
Certainly could have prevented what happened to his VM.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
CCE is not a toy for normal use, detection or removal, for that you have malwarebytes, antispyware and others. This shows that if this tool is used reckless it will have great consequences. This also shows that people need to gain experience how to work with it, get to know its functionally and capabilities.

My question is: Does it mean CCE is a bad removal tool? Think about.

A general thing that I can say is that a review needs to be done when enough experience is gather so that analyses can be accurate and correct.

What the user will see is limited experience and nothing more. Besides in which way did CCE fail? it quarantined all marked items, if there are FP is another problem, so it did what it was meant to do.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
I'm kind of hoping he'll consider a new video test.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
NSG001 said:
I'm kind of hoping he'll consider a new video test.

Only time knows. I hope then that he has more experience.

I have suggested that comodo should make a video so that malware-removers get enough knowledge to handle it, the rest will come with experience; general speaking, no book in the world will be able to tell how something is accomplished or how to handle something in a certain situation, somethings are taught through experience. Experience can be however expressed so that other learn from it :)

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
I like that idea a lot Valentin, it's about time we had another video from Melih :)

Also the product should have a 'handle with care' sign embossed on UI.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
NSG001 said:
I like that idea a lot Valentin, it's about time we had another video from Melih :)

Also the product should have a 'handle with care' sign embossed on UI.

Good idea :) I have a thread at comodo forums about this topic so tell there as well.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Every video review that I had watch about CCE are basically useless because:

1. The reviewer uses CCE to cleanup malware.
2. Then uses other tools like MBAM, Hitman Pro, SuperAntiSpyware to remove what CCE didn't get.

That is not a good way to test CCE effectiveness.

A proper review should first use the other tools to cleanup the infections, then see if CCE can detect anything else.

If CCE can't detect anything else, then that will show that it is not worth the time.
If CCE can detect other infections that the other tools missed, then that will show that it can be a useful tool.

Thanks.:D

I

illumination

This can happen with ANY cleaning tool, you have to watch where you are extracting infections from, the files associated with and or that they integrated with, as it can lead to corrupted system files, such as in this video.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Littlebits said:

2. Then uses other tools like MBAM, Hitman Pro, SuperAntiSpyware to remove what CCE didn't get.

A proper review should first use the other tools to cleanup the infections, then see if CCE can detect anything else.

If CCE can't detect anything else, then that will show that it is not worth the time.
If CCE can detect other infections that the other tools missed, then that will show that it can be a useful tool.

A proper review would rather be if you infect parallell computers with same infections, test each with different removal tools then you see the results and the compare. If you so wish then other tools can be used to see what's left.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Valentin N said:
Littlebits said:

A proper review would rather be if you infect parallell computers with same infections, test each with different removal tools then you see the results and the compare. If you so wish then other tools can be used to see what's left.

Agreed!! The way these video reviews are conducted for CCE, they make it look useless because MBAM and Hitman Pro always have to come to the rescue and remove what CCE missed.

I would like to see a review on CCE that showed what it could do compared to the older trusted removal tools, proving it can remove infections not detected by others or more easy to use would be some good examples.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Maybe you guys have seen the response video.
I'm lost for words at his response :(

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
NSG001 said:
Maybe you guys have seen the response video.
I'm lost for words at his response :(

I would have to partially agree with him because I always use Windows Safe Mode with Networking when removing infections, I have never seen malware that can function in Windows Safe Mode, therefore Killswitch would not be needed. However he should have use Autoruns because when booting into normal mode everything on your system's startup will run at boot including malware. Autoruns could have saved this system with some manual removal. Of coarse Comodo's scanner could use some improvements in detecting more malware, instead of you having to depend more on Autoruns and Killswitch.

Comodo's scanner is the weakest link in CCE, Killswitch is only useful with in Windows normal boot mode, Autoruns is the strongest link because it can solve malware problems booting with Windows normal mode.

But then again you can't say a product is a failure just because one malware was successful at infecting the system. All scanners have hits and misses, that's why you should use several different scanning tools just don't depend on one scanner to do all of the work.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
But then again you can't say a product is a failure just because one malware was successful at infecting the system. All scanners have hits and misses, that's why you should use several different scanning tools just don't depend on one scanner to do all of the work.

Exactly.

No security product is 100%. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either misinformed, or lying.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:

Exactly.

No security product is 100%. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either misinformed, or lying.

So Comodo is lying eh HeffeD?

7VOwn.jpg

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Tom172 said:
So Comodo is lying eh HeffeD?

7VOwn.jpg

Advertising... And comodo does almost reach 100% and with CIS 6 CIS will come even closer. Take a look at Norton and other... they are worse.

Please to keep to topic; if further response are done to this thread will go offtopic!

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Valentin N said:
Advertising... And comodo does almost reach 100% and with CIS 6 CIS will come even closer. Take a look at Norton and other... they are worse.

Please to keep to topic; if further response are done to this thread will go offtopic!

False advertising. Also, show me where Norton or any other product claims a 100% protection guarantee.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Matter of fact it uses aggressive settings on CCE thus it may experience an unsuccessful operation, and its likely not a regular scanner for daily use.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Tom172 said:
False advertising. Also, show me where Norton or any other product claims a 100% protection guarantee.

I will answer through PM so that we don't get offtopic

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.