Dec 14, 2011
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398834,00.asp

By PC mag. Great result for comodo !

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good for Comodo, hopefully in the future its suppose to be include in major testing organization once any issues were solve.

Such like CCE this product has a potential and definitely useful tool.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
CCE is truely great but not cause pcmag says so, i really dont like the way they do these tests, they are worthless.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It appears PCMag Reviews just keep getting worse.
I wonder just how many infected system did PCMag test CCE on before giving it a Editor's Choice?

Do your own review with several infected systems, compare CCE to others like MBAM, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, UVK - Ultra Virus Killer, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool & Kaspersky TDSSKiller, Microsoft Safety Scanner , McAfee Avert Stinger, ESET Online Scanner, etc.

And see for yourself that this PCMag review is worthless.

Thanks.:D

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
As long as CCE is improving then that's what counts. maybe it would be better if CCE has another AV with good signature.

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011
woomera said:
CCE is truely great but not cause pcmag says so, i really dont like the way they do these tests, they are worthless.

Completely agree, never really trusted them.Good to see that they gave CCE a positive review , COMODO really deserve it.
If one thing could be improved in CCE would be the scanning times.

Morphius

Level 1
Sep 13, 2011
Littlebits said:
I wonder just how many infected system did PCMag test CCE on before giving it a Editor's Choice?

Do your own review with several infected systems, compare CCE to others like MBAM, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, UVK - Ultra Virus Killer, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool & Kaspersky TDSSKiller, Microsoft Safety Scanner , McAfee Avert Stinger, ESET Online Scanner, etc.

It's normal that you blame every test where CCE preformed well.
It's sign of a strong personality and if you really don't like something it's a normal behavior so no offense :) BTW You have full review and screenshots, so just review them and judge by yourself.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The guys from Fox8 also did a video and written review on Comodo Cleaning Essentials which you can read here.

Fox 8 said:
When I first stumbled upon Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE), I thought I had hit pay dirt! Here at last was a well-designed utility to remove malware and/or unsafe processes that looked like the total package. CCE analyzes both running processes and all the bells and whistles your system loads when boots up. Also included is a fully-customizable malware scanner for removing viruses, rootkits, hidden files, and malicious registry keys.

You can download a version for either 32-bit and 64-bit Windows (XP, Vista, or Windows 7), and a thorough, well-written guide is available online. Since no installation is required, you can get right to work by double-clicking the main executable, CCE.exe.

Access to the Internet is also required, because the first thing the software does is download the latest threat information from "the cloud." I would ordinarily applaud this, but the process takes longer than you would expect and stalls along the way.

Once the scanner finally gets underway, I was disappointed to find that Comodo Cleaning Essentials is no match for MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free when it comes to rogue A-V attacks. Its Killswitch feature (basically, Windows Task Manager on steroids), Autoruns Analyzer, and other tools are more impressive.

CCE's user interface is attractive and easy-to-understand. Computer savvy individuals will appreciate the granularity of its settings and the abundance of information provided. Furthermore, the software is designed to co-exist peacefully with other security software, so it's ideal for use as a second-opinion malware scanner.

In the fight against malware, the more tools in your arsenal, the better. Since Comodo Cleaning Essentials is 100% free, it's now part of my toolkit, but the membership of the blessed trinity remains intact. For more information, visit Comodo.com.

Read more..

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Morphius said:
Littlebits said:

It's normal that you blame every test where CCE preformed well.
It's sign of a strong personality and if you really don't like something it's a normal behavior so no offense :) BTW You have full review and screenshots, so just review them and judge by yourself.
Reviews and test are not the same as actually using a product. I run a computer repair shop and remove infections on a daily basis. I have used many tools in the past and still check out new tools to make my job more easy. CCE is not stable, slow, eats up way too much resources, takes far too long to update and scan. I'm sorry if the truth hurts some of you, but CCE might do better in the future but now is not ready to be used for its intended purpose.

If I had to use only CCE at my shop, my work would take much more time and costs my customers way too much. Since I could have already scanned a system with 3 or more scanners in the time it takes CCE to update signatures. The scanner needs a lot of work, the update servers need to be faster or smaller updates, Killswitch needs to use much less resources and quit scanning digitally signed files and Autoruns also needs to reduce resource usage and cancel scanning digitally signed files as well.

However I have recently found a new removal tool which is really good UVK- Ultra Virus Killer.
It has all of what CCE has plus much more, its small, simple and has the repair tools needed to fix a highly infected system. But I bet you won't find it reviewed by PCMag.

Morphius

Level 1
Sep 13, 2011
Perhaps you're right about preformance of CCE.
I checked out UVK - and sorry to say that - CCE seems much more solid to me...
There is a new version in Febrauray, maybe you will like it a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.