Comodo Cloud Antivirus

Product name
Comodo Cloud Antivirus Version 1.1.387596.183
Pros
  • Best 0-day protection
    Auto-Sandbox unknown files
    Auto-Malware Analysis (Valkyrie + Viruscope)
CONS
Very bad signature detection
Cloud Connection Issues
Crashes from mass malware execution (or scriptors)
Computer freezes when you execute some files.
BOTTOM LINE
When it comes to protection, it's the best product you can get, signature detection is not that good, some performance issues. In the end, it's a good product and recommended for beginners (install and forget).

With a little work, CCAV will be a very good alternative for the users that don't like CIS or it's a little hard to use.
Protection
Outstanding
Usability
5 / 5
User Interface
5 / 5
CPU/RAM/Storage
Low Usage

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Comodo Cloud technology has indeed a good component for their AV however they lack maintenance.

Maintenance in the sense everything must covered safely as possible + the autosandbox feature must optimize although the overall concept is effective though.

Signatures and other basic means definitely become a cons but still use it with care.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
COMODO's cloud is notoriously screwed-up... meaning that a significant number of files that are a legitimate part of XP, 7, 8\8.1 and 10 are NOT in the safe file database. Plus, a lot of OEM software - especially drivers - are NOT in the safe file database.

COMODO doesn't update the safe file database after each OS release or after each Windows update. It never has done this.

It makes no sense... because COMODO products will block some Microsoft Windows processes and\or OEM drivers. That means trouble - sometimes critical trouble.

COMODO's cloud is only meant to supplement COMODO's AV scan engine database. At least that is the way it was designed for CIS -- and I do not think that concept has changed.

Relying upon COMODO's cloud as a full, stand-alone AV detection system, is using it in a way that COMODO never intended from the start. The cloud's detection rate will only be marginally (a few %) better than the COMODO scan engine database. So somewhere in the mid-80 % or slightly better.

The real reason why COMODO includes any malicious file detection is from the standpoint of usability. Which means that the user doesn't have to contend with known malicious files being sandboxed every time they are executed. In other words, to reduce the number of alerts and needlessly sandboxing known malicious files. The scan engine is not there to protect your system from COMODO's (Melih's) point of view - it is there for convenience. The sandbox is what protects your system.

COMODO relies upon their sandboxing -- and that will never change.

As far as COMODO insiders are concerned, complaints about the COMODO AV detection fall on deaf ears -- because it isn't a part of COMODO's protection model.

So Comodo could screw-up your system via the autosandbox which ironically could also save your system from non signature detectable crypto/ramsome nasties ?

I do wish they could concentrate on producing one definitive polished autosandboxing product instead of all these bits and pieces.

Regards Eck:)

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
So Comodo could screw-up your system via the autosandbox which ironically could also save your system from non signature detectable crypto/ramsome nasties ?

I do wish they could concentrate on producing one definitive polished autosandboxing product instead of all these bits and pieces.

Regards Eck:)

Yes, they would enormously benefit if they concentrate on one flagship product. One perfect product, whatever they chose to be would glorify their company. They have potential for that. Alas, Comodo disperses their efforts in many directions. Jack of all trades must be a master of at least one.

R

Rod McCarthy

So you guys recommend Comodo Cloud AV, be used with their free firewall, or their internet security software, or some other standard AV like Eset AV, or Kaspersky AV ?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Rod McCarthy
Pair it with just Emsisoft E Kit if your running Defender.
If your not running Defender Pair it with Either ZAM or EAM
that will keep you protected and not having to run a crap load of software that when all is said and done will be as heavy as a Full suite. JMHO

H

hjlbx

I'm interested to know did you ever try this combo?

After W10 AU anytime a 3rd-party AV is installed, it will disable Windows Defender - if the 3rd party is adhering to Microsoft's mandate.

However, in the case of CCAV - since it is supposedly 100 % cloud-based - it might not disable Windows Defender.

Someone should report on this here at MT...

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
After W10 AU anytime a 3rd-party AV is installed, it will disable Windows Defender - if the 3rd party is adhering to Microsoft's mandate.

However, in the case of CCAV - since it is supposedly 100 % cloud-based - it might not disable Windows Defender.

Someone should report on this here at MT...
That's a very good point you make. I may have to test this myself now I have Shadow Defender from the recent giveaway to cover my back.

Update... Installed CCAV and Windows Defender has been disabled...

ComodoCloudAV.JPG

Attachments

• ComodoCloudAV.JPG
    ComodoCloudAV.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.