Advice Request Comodo Embedded Code Detection -- How does it work?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Does anyone happen to know how Comodo's embedded code detection actually works?
Sometimes it creates a script file, but doesn't actually block the action. Sometimes it doesn't even create a script file. And sometimes it does what you would expect: it creates a script file, and blocks the action.
This varied behavior has been confirmed on the Comodo forum, but after their terse explanations, I am still puzzled.
I can open a powershell console and enter a command to launch MS Word, and no script file is created.
I can open ConfigureDefender and change WD settings (this is done by powershell cmdlet) and it creates a script file, but does not block the action.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't think even COMODO knows.

Is this feature only present for Windows 10 systems? If so, then it probably works via AMSI.

I've never heard of the feature though, so I don't know.
It was before AMSI, as far as I know it works on all Windows systems. It began with Comodo 10, a couple years ago.
When a monitored app, such as powershell, runs a script, Comodo reads the script, writes it to a text file, and puts that text file in a special Comodo folder. If the script meets certain parameters, the script will be blocked, via the text file. It's not really a .txt file, but you can open it with notepad and read it in clear text.
That's about all I know about it.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So forget about how it works -- can somebody tell me what is expected behavior?
What are the parameters of the scripts that it is supposed to block?

E

Eddie Morra

@shmu26

1. Run PowerShell.exe.
2. Do anything.
3. Check if a file was made for the script.

If Yes to 3, check the modules of PowerShell.exe in Process Hacker / Explorer... is there any DLLs from Comodo present?

I'm just curious as to whether they RCE into script interpreters or not - even if there are no DLLs present, it doesn't rule out them injecting because they can do it without a DLL file-lessly, but most AV vendors aren't going to go to the trouble of doing that to hide the injection and Comodo don't do it for their HIPS so I doubt they would for this if they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I reinstalled Comodo and looked into embedded code detection a little further.
I have two corrections to make.

1 I described the scripts as being saved in a text file. This is not correct. They can indeed be opened in a text editor, but they are saved in the appropriate script format. If it is a cmd.exe script, it is saved as .bat. If it is a powershell script, it is saved as .ps1.

So apparently, what Comodo does is it writes the command line to a script file, and blocks the script file. Neat trick. Comodo is good at blocking files.

2 I wrote, "Sometimes it creates a script file, but doesn't actually block the action."
This, too, is not correct. I initially did not see any sign of blocking or breakage when running certain scripts, but when I retested it, and looked more carefully, I discovered that the scripts did not succeed in performing their task.

@Eddie Morra I am not so experienced with process hacker/explorer analysis. It is normal for Comodo to inject dlls into processes, and I would have a hard time telling the difference. I think a more experienced tester needs to take this one on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.