App Review Comodo Firewall 8 4 vs Malware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
H

hjlbx

I read on another security forum about a COMODO (CIS 8) user's experience.

He downloaded an untrusted\unrecognized file and executed it.

COMODO auto-sandboxed the file and it executed in the sandbox and let it run for a while, but nothing happened.

So the user thought the file was safe and changed the file rating in CIS from Unrecognized to Trusted so as to prevent it being auto-sandboxed upon next execution.

He then re-executed the file and it encrypted his file system.

LOL... that's the problem with sandboxing -- it tells a user nothing about the safety of a file.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
This is the same malware pack that I tested CIS but with EfficacyTest.
Here is my test:

I'm sorry Cruelsister if it is wrong to put my link here.
If you (or anybody else) think is wrong I will delete this post.

Thnx for this video. COMODO is bad, very bad.o_O

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
SHaFI- Exactly right. I didn't realize what they were doing with this EfficacyTest thingy. It may be a cool thing to use when testing pure AV's, but not something that is applicable to testing sandboxes (set an application to Trust then have it spawn malware?)

Anyway, this morning I went through the pack and it contained fairly standard malware, nothing especially nasty. Just putting Comodo's sandbox on the default setting of Partially Limited stopped all the malware and just allowed one CTBlocker file to change the Desktop Wallpaper (easy to change back). But this is known, not an issue, and has been covered my me last year in some CF video or other. Also, putting the HIPS on Safe Mode would have yielded the malware being blocked in the manner that could be seen in my last RAT video.

So although I am positively certain that no malicious intent was involved, the testing methodology from the original "Breach" video was flawed for the product tested.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Nice video. Difference from @cruelsister and @Av Gurus test is the efficiency test. Apparently that is trusted so then it allows all files it spawns that don't have detections.

Thank you for clarification. So @Av Gurus made a "breach" in CIS because the "Efficiency test" app was trusted.

@SHvFl I'm proud of been the same feline kinship with you!

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
We need someone from comodo to remove their head from the sand and join this forum and let us know what they think

Maybe they will tell - "use VS"...:p

Clipboard01.png

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yes. That's what he means.

COMODO Tech: Oh look Diddy - it's broken. You think we should fix it ?

Diddy (Melih): Nah... let's leave it. :D
Nah it will go like this.
-Here is a link to the bug report format in order our developers to fix the problem. Remember the more info you give the more chance of fixing the program
-Cool i filled the report and added all info
-Nice it should be fixed in no time
Meanwhile in a far far away place a comodo dev is at the beach and drinking mojito.
Dev gets his phone to see wtf is going on the forums. Sees the report and laughs of the ignorance of the user thinking a bug will be fixed if it requires more than 2 minutes of time to reproduce and fix.
-So devs checked the report and you need to provide more info. Unfortunately all 20 seconds we put into checking the bug didn't give any results so it's basically not a problem. It's 100% your issue and not Comodo because not many reported this. Only a few pages of complains. You really shouldn't change any setting.
-Hmmm so do we expect a fix or no
-If you provide more info i suspect in 2-5 years we will provide a beta that fixes this problem and adds 10 more issues. I am sure you are satisfied with the great free protection we provide. Remember to buy the pro so you can be extra protected while buying xanax.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.