Advice Request Comodo Firewall and Windows own Firewall

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

sepik

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hello,
I have Comodo firewall installed(custom ruleset / aka ask mode). But sometimes i'll get Windows own firewall pop-up "do you want to allow....etc". Comodo uses its own fw filter driver, so does anyone know why i'm occasionally get windows own firewall pop-up window?

Kindest regards,
-sepik

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Hello,
I have Comodo firewall installed(custom ruleset / aka ask mode). But sometimes i'll get Windows own firewall pop-up "do you want to allow....etc". Comodo uses its own fw filter driver, so does anyone know why i'm occasionally get windows own firewall pop-up window?

Kindest regards,
-sepik
because Comodo works alongside WinFW, it doesn't suppress it, but nothing prevent you to do it manually.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Hello,

Kindest regards,
-sepik
Happened to me while using Bullguard which relies on WF.

Reactions: DDE_Server

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
ZoneAlarm is used in English department in my university and they even recommend using it. I do not know why but they said they will gladly provide me with a discount code to the Extreme edition. I have never used ZoneAlarm but I have always heard good words about their firewall.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
ZoneAlarm is used in English department in my university and they even recommend using it. I do not know why but they said they will gladly provide me with a discount code to the Extreme edition. I have never used ZoneAlarm but I have always heard good words about their firewall.
ZoneAlarm Internet Security? If yes then ZoneAlarm is actually a rebrand of Kaspersky.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
No ZoneAlarm Extreme Protection. I believe the discount code allows me to purchased a one-year license for 3 device for $24. In other departments, Eset Endpoint Protection is used.
Looks like that's their equivalent to Total security. Anyway it's a rebrand of Kaspersky. Local signatures, cloud, application control, system watcher etc everything of Kaspersky's except maybe their Firewall and other extra features. I personally haven't used it but it was tested in the hub.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Looks like that's their equivalent to Total security. Anyway it's a rebrand of Kaspersky. Local signatures, cloud, application control, system watcher etc everything of Kaspersky's except maybe their Firewall and other extra features. I personally haven't used it but it was tested in the hub.

I just can't get why a Palestinian university uses an Israeli product (with connection to agencies). I do not want to include politics in here but I personally see Eset as a better option. The price offered is very competitive taking into consideration Kaspersky technologies included in it. I might give it a try but a friend of mined confirmed that it feels much heavier than Kaspersky. Anyway, I have not found any information about it using Kaspersky's Application Control.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So can I disabled Windows FW and just use CFW? If no, then would FirewallHardening in Hard_Configurator be of any use here? That is use of CIS + Hard_Configurtaor + Windows FW + Windows Defender.

If yes, then I would use CIS + Windows Defender + ConfigureDefender. Not advisable to use 2 FWs.

Thanks

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I meant Firewall Hardening Tool + CFW, however there is a seperate question is: do I want H_C & CFW? If using CruelComodo setup I wouldn't use H_C. Just my personal taste --> too much going on, troubleshooting issues, etc.
I think you misread my meaning.

I meant if I cannot disable Windows FW (working with CIS) then can I use Hard_Configurator's FirewallHardening for Windows FW? Hard_Configurator comes in 3 parts, namely, the recommended OS hardening, ConfigureDefender and the FirewallHardening. Is there anything here conflicting with CIS?

BTW, I'm trying to look for CruelComodo set up. Can you point the link? Thanks

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I think you misread my meaning.

I meant if I cannot disable Windows FW (working with CIS) then can I use Hard_Configurator's FirewallHardening for Windows FW? Hard_Configurator comes in 3 parts, namely, the recommended OS hardening, ConfigureDefender and the FirewallHardening. Is there anything here conflicting with CIS?

BTW, I'm trying to look for CruelComodo set up. Can you point the link? Thanks
CruelComodo:

I would leave Windows FW alone and don't use firewall hardening with CruelComodo.

Use CD high settings, HC recommended settings and Comodo FW @cruelsister settings.

The auto containment of CruelComodo will block CD and HC changes, so you have to unblock, whitelist and apply them again.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
CruelComodo:

I would leave Windows FW alone and don't use firewall hardening with CruelComodo.

Use CD high settings, HC recommended settings and Comodo FW @cruelsister settings.

The auto containment of CruelComodo will block CD and HC changes, so you have to unblock, whitelist and apply them again.

So far I have read through the threads under COMODO here the recommendation is to disable the default Windows FW if you are using CIS/CFW. I think this is inline with any other such installation involving 2 FWs unless the 3rd-party FW requires Windows FW to function. This is akin to having 2 AVs running in real-time which can cause issues.

So in this case if I disable Windows FW then I only need CIS + Windows Defender + ConfigureDefender. For OS hardening would SysHardening be adequate or not required here since not using Hard_Configurator?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
So far I have read through the threads under COMODO here the recommendation is to disable the default Windows FW if you are using CIS/CFW. I think this is inline with any other such installation involving 2 FWs unless the 3rd-party FW requires Windows FW to function. This is akin to having 2 AVs running in real-time which can cause issues.

So in this case if I disable Windows FW then I only need CIS + Windows Defender + ConfigureDefender. For OS hardening would SysHardening be adequate or not required here since not using Hard_Configurator?
Hard_Configurator beats SysHardener in protection. @Andy Ful explained that somewhere in this thread (if I remember correctly).

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok found some answers here ...............from a few years back

The recommendation is to DISABLE Windows Defender FW in the Control Panel but NOT disabling the Windows Defender FW service in services.msc

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.