Advice Request Comodo Firewall + Bitdefender Total Security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I will disable the bitdefender firewall, of course.
I do not have comodo anti-virus installed, only the firewall.
I am presently running bitdefender anti-virus 2016, in combo with Comodo firewall, and I have no visible problems.
But what about BTS? Are the firewall drivers and the additional components likely to cause conflicts?
(I have a licence for BTS, and it has a couple extras that I like)

Reactions: AtlBo

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Antivirus + Firewall = OK

Internet Security + Internet Security = NOT OK

Antivirus + Internet Security = NOT OK

Firewall + Internet Security = NOT OK

Internet Security + Companion Antivirus = OK,
but add Exclusions and check compatibility with both vendors.

Go look at the Bitdefender website for a comparison between their Antivirus and Total Security. I can almost guarantee BTS has a lot of features that you do NOT use.

@shmu26 Do you not have a Security Configuration Wizard, I highly recommend creating one.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@Dodger and @spaceoctopus, you have to take into account the special features of comodo firewall -- it has auto-sandbox, and a sophisticated HIPS. This creates a default-deny barrier that's hard to pierce, even on a x64 bit system. Plus, you can virtualize your browser or other programs, similar to Sandboxie. Bitdefender firewall can't do any of that.

But Huracan's math tells me that I should just stay with Bitdefender AV + Comodo firewall, and stay away from BTS.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
But Huracan's math tells me that I should just stay with Bitdefender AV + Comodo firewall, and stay away from BTS
I am saying, for yourself, to have a look at the Bitdefender website and SEE what Total Security offers over their Antivirus product. There is no reason to use Total Security - which is inclusive of a Firewall and IDS, to only go and disable it for Comodo Firewall.

Stick with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus and Comodo Firewall, or find another solution all together.

Let's throw Comodo Cloud Antivirus into the mix for you to have a look at, as an Comodo Antivirus alternate. :)

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Go look at the Bitdefender website for a comparison between their Antivirus and Total Security.
Total Security has a cute "Tune-Up. OneClick Optimizer" that allows you to delay startup of selected programs. It actually works, even on windows 10. but it's no deal breaker, just a whim.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
@Dodger and @spaceoctopus, you have to take into account the special features of comodo firewall -- it has auto-sandbox, and a sophisticated HIPS. This creates a default-deny barrier that's hard to pierce, even on a x64 bit system. Plus, you can virtualize your browser or other programs, similar to Sandboxie. Bitdefender firewall can't do any of that.

But Huracan's math tells me that I should just stay with Bitdefender AV + Comodo firewall, and stay away from BTS.
Bitdefender is an advanced software too:) If you do a little research you will see that many other security software use there antivirus engine because it is one of the best. The Bitdefender firewall is more than enough with the different other detections method present in the suite, such as cloud technology, heuristic, IDS and so on. You really don't need to add the Comodo firewall.
Remember also that Bitdefender despite their very high level of protection is often buggy, and Comodo too. In addition Comodo is a very intrusive product. Bitdefender Total security with Comodo firewall will wreck havoc on your Pc instead of helping you.Hope this helps you;)

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Bitdefender is an advanced software too:) If you do a little research you will see that many other security software use there antivirus engine because it is one of the best. The Bitdefender firewall is more than enough with the different other detections method present in the suite, such as cloud technology, heuristic, IDS and so on. You really don't need to add the Comodo firewall.
Remember also that Bitdefender despite their very high level of protection is often buggy, and Comodo too. In addition Comodo is a very intrusive product. Bitdefender Total security with Comodo firewall will wreck havoc on your Pc instead of helping you.Hope this helps you;)
thanks for your thoughts. I am onboard with the idea that Bitdefender has a great antivirus engine, and great definitions that update hourly. That's why I use it.
Yes, Comodo can get pretty buggy. If you haven't cried in a while, try changing your settings in Comodo and then rebooting.
But right now at least (check in with me again tomorrow morning) I am pretty happy with my Bitdefender Anti-Virus + Comodo firewall w/autosandbox and virtualized browser.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
The only option to use both you have is:

Bitdefender Antivirus(plus or free) + Comodo Firewall.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Stick to the simplicity of combination, why use Total Security when you can have the AV version of Bitdefender?

+ Comodo is so powerful which your AV may act as pure protection of signatures.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
right! thank you all for your good advice.
there is definitely a consensus here.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Tried it myself Bitdefender AV will not works with Comodo Firewall. Somehow it'll crash the PC. That's what I encountered in the past.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Tried it myself Bitdefender AV will not works with Comodo Firewall. Somehow it'll crash the PC. That's what I encountered in the past.
I had no problem with BAV + Comodo w/o antivirus, on win10. Worked great.
Strong and comprehensive protection, but a bit heavy on the system resources.

D

Deleted member 178

Firewall + Internet Security = NOT OK

yep because drivers may conflict

Stick with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus and Comodo Firewall, or find another solution all together.

+1 for that

Total Security has a cute "Tune-Up. OneClick Optimizer" that allows you to delay startup of selected programs. It actually works, even on windows 10. but it's no deal breaker, just a whim.

you can do it manually

Bitdefender is an advanced software too:) If you do a little research you will see that many other security software use there antivirus engine because it is one of the best.

in fact not really, the reason is that it is the only decent engine on the market that a another vendor can buy and it is cheap.

The Bitdefender firewall is more than enough with the different other detections method present in the suite, such as cloud technology, heuristic, IDS and so on. You really don't need to add the Comodo firewall.

i agree

Remember also that Bitdefender despite their very high level of protection is often buggy, and Comodo too. In addition Comodo is a very intrusive product. Bitdefender Total security with Comodo firewall will wreck havoc on your Pc instead of helping you.

i agree, BD is banned on my machines, and and comodo has very very few chances to coming back

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I had no problem with BAV + Comodo w/o antivirus, on win10. Worked great.
Strong and comprehensive protection, but a bit heavy on the system resources.
another caveat: my computer forgot how to go to asleep by itself, without being told to do so by its master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.