Advice Request Comodo firewall installation

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I wanted to try COMODO firewall in my VM, so i downloaded it. First of all, I was astonished that it wanted to make a lot of changes (changes your default homepage to yahoo). Then, I found no way to skip COMODO dragon installation. Any idea?

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I wanted to try COMODO firewall in my VM, so i downloaded it. First of all, I was astonished that it wanted to make a lot of changes (changes your default homepage to yahoo). Then, I found no way to skip COMODO dragon installation. Any idea?

I didn't see, in last installation of Comodo firewall 10, Yahoo changes of homepage.
From where did you download Comodo?

Reactions: TheMalwareMaster

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
When it says someting like "do you want to keep the program up to date ?" (I don't remember the exact question) there is a box checked, to set Yahoo as home page.
I had it after receiving the last update.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I didn't see, in last installation of Comodo firewall 10, Yahoo changes of homepage.
From where did you download Comodo?
Comodo official website. I searched comodo firewall on google and then downlaoded it

Reactions: shmu26

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Thanks @lab34 I really hate this bundling of yahoo, dragon, geekbuddy. I just wanted to find alternatives to VoodooShield for beginners (some users dislike the fact that VoodooShield is not in italian). I wanted to try COMODO at default settings (I've always heard it's bad at default, but I wanted to see) but then, I went in the settings. I went in some sections, until the entire VM crashed, I was no longer able to do anything. I didn't even made a snapshot for COMODO. Next time, COMODO, next time, if I still will want to test it. Now I understand why everyone says that COMODO is not for beginners. Apart from the fact that it's difficult to use, we have all this stuff bundled

Reactions: lab34

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Maybe your crash was related with the Hips. I did not enabled the Hips, I'm using CruelSister settings (so, with Hips Off) and it's sufficiently difficult like that.
With Hips on, it's too difficult for me (it's for Umbra !). For sure it's not for beginners.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Here are the pictures of CIS instalation that I have.
There is no Yahoo or Dragon.

IMG_20170501_175817.jpgIMG_20170501_175840.jpg

D

Deleted member 178

What makes the difference between a beginner and a experienced user? practice.

In my early days , A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...., i started (like some of you ) to be interested by HIPS and alike. So despite my newbie-ness , i persevered and now here i am :)

Using an HIPS is very informative for beginners to learn how the OS behave, but to use safely , you must do lot of researches. For those interested in Comodo:

Start reading the whole section : Comodo

and especially this thread : Q&A - Comodo Internet Security v8 Setup/configuration thread

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
When come home i will post pictures of cf (don't have it now with my).
Ok, i know that in cf is dragon and geek buddy but Yahoo is not for sure.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
if you check inbound/outbound connections, comodo will also ask if you want to download comodo killswitch. u can click the x in the upper right corner of the window if you dont wanna install it

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Comodo Kill Switch is not bad. A sort of Process Explorer where you can easily see what process are sandboxed.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Here are CF installations pictures:

1.png 2.png

Reactions: Tiny

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
But hey guys - they do not force you to setup Yahoo as your homepage or install any additional software - they offer it and you have an option to opt out what you don't like or you don't need.
Those options are not hidden somewhere deep in the installer and if you can read then there should be no problem at all.
I could agree that this shouldn't take place in paid products but please do not forget that we are talking about the most advanced free security suite and Comodo need to offer you some additional services/apps from their partners to make some money.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
But hey guys - they do not force you to setup Yahoo as your homepage or install any additional software - they offer it and you have an option to opt out what you don't like or you don't need.
Those options are not hidden somewhere deep in the installer and if you can read then there should be no problem at all.
I could agree that this shouldn't take place in paid products but please do not forget that we are talking about the most advanced free security suite and Comodo need to offer you some additional services/apps from their partners to make some money.
I feel it should be opt in instead of opt out if they're inclined to make offers like this.
Emsisoft did a detailed blog post just over two years ago arguing how ridiculous it is that security vendors who claim to protect against adware and PUPs are pushing those exact things on their users and I can't help but agree. I fully understand their need to make money from their free software but the people who are caught out by this kind of stuff are the ones who won't know how to remove it and will end up impacting them in a negative way (especially since GeekBuddy is a service that costs a ridiculous amount of money to subscribe to and is essentially scareware).

Last edited:
Reactions: askmark

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
@Av Gurus Here is my screenshot. With comodo internet security and firewall, same prompt for Yahoo. Probably because italian Language was made by community, they are bundling Yahoo?
yahoo.PNG

Reactions: Av Gurus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.