Battle Comodo Firewall, Online Armour Free Firewall or ZoneAlarm Free firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Just a pure firewall like Look 'n' Stop old but sturdy.
I'm tired of HIPS integrated Firewall there is no real action but more of complications when i knew my system is clean.
Comodo Firewall alone has a very good packet filtering but not a pure firewall that i would like to have.

Others: Windows 7 + Sphinx Firewall Control

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Comodo Firewall got my vote mainly due to the Auto Sandbox Technology,which will can prevent the majority of zero day attacks without generating any question-alert for the end user. Online Armor has also a similar function called Run Safer, however this feature is disable by default ....
Another advantage that COMODO has over Online Armor is the larger white lists of known good programs and the more user friendly alerts when compared with OA Free.
I've tried Zone Alarm a few times ,however I don't have any strong opinion on this product as I like my firewall to have bundled a HIPS.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bitbizket said:
Just a pure firewall like Look 'n' Stop old but sturdy.
I'm tired of HIPS integrated Firewall there is no real action but more of complications when i knew my system is clean.
Comodo Firewall alone has a very good packet filtering but not a pure firewall that i would like to have.

Others: Windows 7 + Sphinx Firewall Control

I couldn't agree more, I used HIPS firewalls for 3 years. Including Comodo, Online Armor, Privatefirewall, PC Tools Firewall Plus, Malware Defender, etc.

For those 3 years, the HIPS features never blocked one single malware that my AV and my own knowledge didn't detect . What I did experience is system problems including lockups, crashes, Blue Screens of Death, safe programs, drivers and safe processes getting blocked, slow system response time, system errors in my Event Viewer, etc. Also to mention bugs in the HIPS programs, upgrade issues, export and import settings issues.

After I did away with HIPS firewalls, all of the issues went away and still malware free 5 years later. It was the best thing that I did, I would never go back to using a HIPS firewall again.

I have many novice customers who just use Windows Firewall and never get infections because of their actions. They might not know much about a computer, but they know better than to download files from fake alert websites and other bad sources. Some may have what I call junk programs on their systems, but no malware. With a good real-time AV they are protected. If these novice users can do this, then why can't advanced users do this as well? Maybe because they put too much trust into their HIPS firewall and they think they can do anything they want to and not get infected.

Maybe these advanced users are not as advanced as what they think they are. You are the first line of defense for your system, not any software should be trusted over your own defense.

Thanks.:D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:
most users don't need a powerful firewall, usually the more advanced paranoid users who don't trust their own actions.

:huh:

I don't think not trusting your own actions is even a consideration...

I think even the most paranoid of users trust their own actions. It's the actions that have nothing to do with them, that most people worry about.

Littlebits said:
It is completely false that you must have a powerful HIPS firewall to be protected, many users get by just fine only using Windows Firewall.

It is also completely false to assume that because many users get by fine, said protection is adequate.

Most people go through their entire life without getting struck by lightning, or hit by a car. It would be stupid to presume that because many never experience this, you don't need to be cautious.

Is does hurt anything to be cautious but when you go outside do you have a lightening rod on your head to keep you from getting struck by lightening?
Do you drive a tank or wear special protective clothing to keep you safe from getting hit by a car?

If you do happen to get infected, don't you know how to deal with it?
Backing up your files and reinstalling Windows is much less complicated then having to constantly deal with the issues and problem of HIPS.

Just try it and feel the freedom, of coarse take all precautions.
When I got rid of HIPS, it was just like I dumped a huge load off my system.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Backing up your files and reinstalling Windows is much less complicated then having to constantly deal with the issues and problem of HIPS.

I don't know what HIPS you constantly have issues and problems with, but I don't have any trouble whatsoever. Not only that, my sister who is definitely not computer savvy has no trouble dealing with a HIPS either. (Neither do her kids)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
HeffeD said:
I don't know what HIPS you constantly have issues and problems with, but I don't have any trouble whatsoever. Not only that, my sister who is definitely not computer savvy has no trouble dealing with a HIPS either. (Neither do her kids)

Which program do you use? Have you tried using a HIPS without any whitelisting/trusted publishers?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Every popups for HIPS were really crucial and for others when dealing incorrectly they were panic since problems were heated up.

And always its for experienced/advance users.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
I chose Comodo Firewall because it's free, and it provides a defense plus/antimalware engine. When the latest version of zone alarm came out (2012) the install program kept locking and couldn't seem to get by the configuration plus Zone Alarm doesn't have a HIPS engine.

I'm not sure about Online Armor because I haven't tried it.

V

Vextor

COMODO Firewall. It is very strong, and has some basic protection included. ZoneAlarm also has a history of scareware, so be careful of their products.

jota13

Level 2
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
On my two computers I prefer Comodo Firewall. Because this firewall is good, and recently it good working with another security software.

But Zone Alarm isn't bad. I installed it on my mother's laptop, because it's easy to use and She learns to use computer.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
jota13 said:
On my two computers I prefer Comodo Firewall. Because this firewall is good, and recently it good working with another security software.

But Zone Alarm isn't bad. I installed it on my mother's laptop, because it's easy to use and She learns to use computer.

I installed ZoneAlarm Free on my mother's computer also, it is is working very well for her. None of my family members are knowledgeable in computers, I wouldn't dare install a powerful HIPS firewall that would blow their minds. However most of my family members just use Windows Firewall because even ZoneAlarm is too complicated for them. My mother is more willing to learn than the rest. The majority of my customers only use Windows Firewall. A few use ZoneAlarm or Outpost, most have never heard of Comodo, Online Armor, Privatefirewall or other firewalls.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Generally I don't prefer to use separate av and firewall for my computers but if I have no chice I waill go with windows in built firewall.But If I have to choose from above options I take zonealarm as it is getting better with its year 2012 versions and it looks like light and efficient which it had been 5 years ago

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Some firewalls like Zonealarm were maintaining to be a pure firewall without HIPS thus the complication were lesser thus it may become a install and forget too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.