Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Hi every MalwareTips member, today I want to open a new discussion, I don't know if you are aware that lately Neil J. Rubenking - Lead Analyst for Security at PC Magazine reviewed the latest version of both Firewall, I just want to hear your voices and opinions regarding both Firewall, and I really appreciate your participation...

Comodo Firewall v7
Editor Rating: 4.5/5

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456941,00.asp

ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall 2015 v13
Editor Rating: 4.5/5

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456292,00.asp

Last edited:

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
If you strip the HIPS and BB's out of the other firewalls mentioned, windows firewall would stand tall with them, if not dominate them. As now you would be truly talking about a "Firewall"..
Thank you, but do you think windows firewall is strong enough compare to standalone firewalls?

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Anti-Spam? Use Web-based email. - FREE & PAID, but mostly FREE.
Wireless PC Protection? Use a VPN. -- FREE & PAID
Auto Wireless Network Security? Change it manually. Even Windows Firewall has 3 different configurations; Private, Work and Public.
Great reply bro, thank you so much

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Define strong enough...
OK, let me put it that way, if there's a hacking attempt using the latest techniques like ARP Spoofing attack then do you think windows firewall can stay unbreakable towards these attacks? because I've heard once that OAP doesn't provide any protection against any ARP Spoofing attacks but Comodo and ZoneAlarm do provide it, that's why I'm asking and I have fear regarding windows firewall protection and it's features, btw I very appreciate your helps bro via your comments and your opinions ;)

Last edited:
I

illumination

OK, let me put it that way, if there's a hacking attempt using the latest techniques like ARP Spoofing attack then do you think windows firewall can stay unbreakable towards these attacks? because I've heard once that OAP doesn't provide any protection against any ARP Spoofing attacks but Comodo and ZoneAlarm do provide it, that's why I'm asking and I have fear regarding windows firewall protection and it's features, btw I very appreciate your helps bro via your comments and your opinions ;)

A person would need either physical access to your network, or control of a machine on your local network, in order to deliver an ARP Cache Poisoning attack.

This being said, Windows Firewall does its job. If you are concerned with your local LAN, maybe you should consider a VPN.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Third-party firewalls are becoming obsolete on newer Windows, unless you are still using Windows XP there will no real advantages to using them. Why do you think that all of the third-party software vendors are moving to security suites? because they know that newer Windows has an excellent firewall and adding network drivers are more likely to cause problems and slow down network speed.

AVG, Avira and 360 Security have already integrated with Windows Firewall on their security suites and removed their own firewalls to make their products more compatible with newer Windows. Comodo, ZoneAlarm and Emsisoft still use their own firewalls in their security suites but are not trying to push their stand-alone firewall products. Some are actually trying to phase them out. Eventually more security software vendors will do the same to make their products more compatible since they will need to keep market shares. On Windows 8 for example, the majority of problems users experience is caused by third-party security products mainly network firewall drivers. In the future there probably will be no more third-party firewalls available except for Windows Firewall add-ons like BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control, TinyWall, Windows Firewall Notifier, Sphinx Windows Firewall Control, etc. HIPS products are also becoming obsolete since UAC on newer Windows and behavior blocking features added to most common AV products. Things are changing like it or not. I can remember back when Anti-Spyware products were very popular, who would have thought back then that they would become obsolete in the future?

Enjoy!! :D

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Third-party firewalls are becoming obsolete on newer Windows, unless you are still using Windows XP there will no real advantages to using them. Why do you think that all of the third-party software vendors are moving to security suites? because they know that newer Windows has an excellent firewall and adding network drivers are more likely to cause problems and slow down network speed.

AVG, Avira and 360 Security have already integrated with Windows Firewall on their security suites and removed their own firewalls to make their products more compatible with newer Windows. Comodo, ZoneAlarm and Emsisoft still use their own firewalls in their security suites but are not trying to push their stand-alone firewall products. Some are actually trying to phase them out. Eventually more security software vendors will do the same to make their products more compatible since they will need to keep market shares. On Windows 8 for example, the majority of problems users experience is caused by third-party security products mainly network firewall drivers. In the future there probably will be no more third-party firewalls available except for Windows Firewall add-ons like BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control, TinyWall, Windows Firewall Notifier, Sphinx Windows Firewall Control, etc. HIPS products are also becoming obsolete since UAC on newer Windows and behavior blocking features added to most common AV products. Things are changing like it or not. I can remember back when Anti-Spyware products were very popular, who would have thought back then that they would become obsolete in the future?

Enjoy!! :D
Great post Littlebits, I'm totally agree with you, thank you Man :)

Reactions: Littlebits

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I'd say Comodo, because when i try to install ZoneAlarm it forces me to install malware before i can install the product.

Blue

Jan 12, 2015
I have used ZoneAlarm in various forms since 2001 and was a staunch supporter for the first decade. However, over the last couple of years, I have been increasingly dissatisfied with each new release. They continually "dumb down" the product and have removed several advanced features over the years. When questioned, ZA Tech support essentially said that people were confused by the advanced features so they were removed. Sad.

I have also had several releases of ZoneAlarm that completely broke something. Trying to work with ZA tech support was a truly frustrating experience because their first "fix" was to lower the security level from "High" to "Medium". Not a great idea. Ironically, each time my computer restarted, ZA would automatically reset the level to "high"... ZA would also blame my computer or my home network setup for causing the problems, despite me explaining that the problem did not exist prior to the update and a clean uninstall and reinstall of the prior version fixed the issue. Never did they admit a problem. But, strangely enough, the bug was often fixed in the next release. The problem(s) were very repeatable with clean install by version.

That frustration aside, ZoneAlarm also does not play nice with Windows Media Center. I cannot find any setting, including setting the security level to "off" that will allow my XBOX WMC Extender to find/connect to the WMC computer. The only way the XBOX will connect is to completely shutt down ZoneAlarm. No amount of program exceptions, "Super" permissions, or holes poked in the ports appear to make any difference.

My latest license period is coming up soon and I am not planning on renewing ZoneAlarm. I will likely experiment with Comodo, or possibly even take the advice of those above and just go with Windows 7's native firewall.

meow81

Aug 29, 2015
Littlebits what is the best among these?
BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control, TinyWall, Windows Firewall Notifier, Sphinx Windows Firewall Control
what do you prefer ?? i want to try one, in windows 7 .

I

illumination

BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control, TinyWall, Windows Firewall Notifier, Sphinx Windows Firewall Control
If you click littlebits avatar, you will discover he was last seen Dec 11, 2014, meaning he has not been active here for quite some time..
My advice to you concerning the firewall controls, is try each one on your system, and pick one that works best for you, your system, and your uses...

H

hjlbx

LittleBits hasn't been at MT for a long while now...

Anyhow, if you want a good balance of usability and outbound WF notifications, then the best of what you have listed is BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control. It is under active development and fully supported.

The others are hit and miss... like TinyWall and Windows Firewall Notifier. The developers might not update for years...

Sphinx user interface is worthless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.