Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Ashampoo_Snap_2015_01_15_12h22m13s_003.jpg

You get a boatload of features with Comodo Firewall 8, and they don't cost you a thing. It does the job of a personal firewall, and its Viruscope malware detection system has evolved impressively. And there's the hardened browser, virtual desktop, and program sandboxing, the feature list goes on and on. My one concern is the popup-happy behavior-blocking system, which really needs to evolve into something that doesn't rely on user interaction. When it does so, we'll raise the rating back up to 4.5 stars.

Even with this one worry, Comodo hangs on to our Editors' Choice badge for personal firewalls. It shares that honor with ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 2015.

Full Article

Reactions: Sr. Normal and Sasa

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Got to love the reviewer comment on the HIPS:
The HIPS system wreaked havoc on my attempt to install 20 PCMag utilities. These utilities necessarily hook into various Windows processes, and Comodo suspected some type of malfeasance for most of them. Only seven installed and ran without incident. All the rest triggered anywhere from one to dozens of popups. I always chose to allow the reported action and remember my answer. Even so, in a couple of cases the popups just never stopped coming. Well, I gave up at two dozen; I figure the average user would get frustrated even sooner.

However in my opinion, the reviewer nails one thing right:
My one concern is the popup-happy behavior-blocking system, which really needs to evolve into something that doesn't rely on user interaction.

S

Sr. Normal

It is the first time I see that ZoneAlarm is above Comodo and truth , I find it strange, I 'll have to see other comparatives to get used to the idea.

Thank You

Rosiemeow

Oct 9, 2015
Cute GUI - blasted all over the Interweb as a great firewall but y'all better take a little closer look at it and do your homework because it's nothing more than a trojan horse in a great disguise.

Better take a look at the trusted publishers, certificates and root authorities it automatically installs on your systems. Also gleans personal info from your web activity and reports it to another site it manages - chargepedia.com - do a whoils on it.

Bad news - severe security breach for anyone putting it on their system. Sterilize it - eradicate it - down to the last registry entry even if you have to do it manually with a fine tooth comb.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Cute GUI - blasted all over the Interweb as a great firewall but y'all better take a little closer look at it and do your homework because it's nothing more than a trojan horse in a great disguise.

Better take a look at the trusted publishers, certificates and root authorities it automatically installs on your systems. Also gleans personal info from your web activity and reports it to another site it manages - chargepedia.com - do a whoils on it.

Bad news - severe security breach for anyone putting it on their system. Sterilize it - eradicate it - down to the last registry entry even if you have to do it manually with a fine tooth comb.

Looks legit

Rosiemeow

Oct 9, 2015
Looks legit
Yeah, had it on one of my systems for all of 15 minutes - installs trusted certificates from Japan, China, etc... give it a whirl - it's a blast. And that's not even the tip of the iceberg but if you're *all that* ...... "when you see it".....

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Yeah, had it on one of my systems for all of 15 minutes - installs trusted certificates from Japan, China, etc... give it a whirl - it's a blast.

It's a great firewall if you know how to play with it a bit in settings and make it work the way you want, most people like you prob can't do that so it is clearly not for you in any way. The certificates stuff is optional, you can disable trust default certificate list from Comodo, and of course there will be Japan, China, Usa certs since they all make software.

Reactions: Davidov
D

Deleted member 178

People want do a funny test with CIS on Win10 with a high resolution?

- take an apps , say Rainmeter x64, install it.
- go to the executable (rainmeter.exe in program files) and right click on it.
- go to compatibility and check "disable scaling on high dpi setting..." , exit and relaunch rainmeter.
- normally now rainmeter objects should be very small.

Install CIS, reboot , and tell me what u observe :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Clearly the test provided to be custom as HIPS is enabled so expect those pop ups as the nature of concept is to monitor overall changes on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.