Battle Comodo Firewall vs. Emsisoft Online Armor Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012
I have been using Comodo Firewall for a long time now and heard of Emsisoft Online Armor. So I wanted to know what is better. :)

D

Deleted member 178

unknown51398 said:
I have been using Comodo Firewall for a long time now and heard of Emsisoft Online Armor. So I wanted to know what is better. :)

ok since i used both for long time, there is my pros/cons:

Comodo FW

PROs

- free
- very very tweakable, you can make it exactly as your wishes.
- very light (around 10mb WS on idle)
- fully x64, the best protection on x64 machines
- very powerful HIPS
- cloud
- manual sandbox (full virtualization)
- auto-sandbox (policy rules)

CONs

- difficult to use for the basic user, some menus are really not user-friendly
- no webshields
- simple network monitor
- must be tweaked to avoid some old known flaws
- no distinct tab and options for its antilogger/registry/autoruns feature

Online Armor Premium

PROs

- Powerful HIPS (equal to CIS on x86 machines)
- Run safer mode (a kind of policy rules sandbox)
- Banking mode (isolate banking sites from the rest of the net)
- no flaws
- User-friendly menus
- distinct Web Shield, file & registry shield, autorun shield and anti-keylogger menus
- tray icon graphic network monitor with name resolution lookup and shows connected devices
- block connections on startup

CONs

- Paid
- a bit heavy on Ram for some system (4 processes, 30mb WS on idle) but not on responsiveness.
- not fully x64
- some issues with Sandboxie and aero
- no full virtualization sandbox
- HIPS more talkative than CFW
- seems to, affect the kernel more deeply than CFW on x64 machines, gave me BSODs (it affect me only, others members dont have this issue)
- more options for the FW module on x86 systems.

that is all i remember for the moment, will update this post.

My posts seems to show that CFW is superioir than OAP, but in my opinion both are equal in term of protection for the basic user, OAP is a more user-friendly firewall
If you use EAM full as main AV , OAP is the best option since OAP interacts with EAM's cloud and File Guard

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
McLovin said:
Stranger said:
I should not post my opinion here :p

Come on, we would like to here everyone's :)

both have annoying pop ups
both slow down browsing

really i dont like using separate product av+firewall(3rd party)
i use av+windows firewall or security suite

its my personal opinion:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Anyone compared each without their HIPS counterparts, and just as a pure Firewall?

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Stranger said:
both slow down browsing

:huh: I've seen people say a lot of things about the firewall, but this is the first time I've seen anyone say it slows down their browsing.

Any further detail on this, or is it just anecdotal evidence?

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
HeffeD said:
Stranger said:
both slow down browsing

:huh: I've seen people say a lot of things about the firewall, but this is the first time I've seen anyone say it slows down their browsing.

Any further detail on this, or is it just anecdotal evidence?
No i am not blowing whistle in the air,i myself love to install various software on my pc and test
OA really slow down my browsing speed........

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Yes, Online Armor Premium has a web shield. Web shields tend to slow down browsing.

The Comodo firewall does not have a web shield. You said both products slowed your browsing down. Did you actually mean that only OAP slowed down your browsing?

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
HeffeD said:
Yes, Online Armor Premium has a web shield. Web shields tend to slow down browsing.

The Comodo firewall does not have a web shield. You said both products slowed your browsing down. Did you actually mean that only OAP slowed down your browsing?
right
comodo give annoying pop ups only and i as i mention earlier i like av +wf or complete security suite

D

Deleted member 178

This is the purpose of any HIPS (comodo, online armor, ESET, outpost, etc...) to ask you if you want to allow or block the process. you want "perfect protection" , you will have downside.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
This is the purpose of any HIPS (comodo, online armor, ESET, outpost, etc...) to ask you if you want to allow or block the process. you want "perfect protection" , you will have downside.

Yes, this is the problem. People hear about the protection that a HIPS product can provide, but then they complain about the popups. The popups are simply a HIPS doing what a HIPS does.

If you can't deal with popups, then a HIPS isn't for you. Maybe a product with a behavior blocker would be better suited to your needs.

P

Plexx

I had 2 BSoD with OA on it's own (well I had ESET installed).

It seems like any Emsisoft product I install on my host I get BSoD...

Any suggestions?

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Biozfear said:
I had 2 BSoD with OA on it's own (well I had ESET installed).

It seems like any Emsisoft product I install on my host I get BSoD...

Any suggestions?

If you are installing EAM first and rebooting before ESET installation than probably there shouldn't be an issue !!

This is the only method to sort out EAM + ESET issue i know !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.