App Review Comodo Firewall vs Malware Stealers

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Nice demo again, and another fine choice of background music (y)

Were the stealers in the second half of the video also attempting to connect to remote port 80, just as the alerts in the first half showed Powershell trying to connect to that port? You indirectly gave me an idea: delete the outbound rule from UFW (Linux fw) for port 80. I should only need https (port 443).

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
You indirectly gave me an idea: delete the outbound rule from UFW (Linux fw) for port 80. I should only need https (port 443).
I don't know what distribution you use, but all the ones I could test blocking port 80 brought me problems with updates. Just the necessary rules according to what you use, and use the firewall to deny inbound and outbound. I also think that on Linux there is not much to do to keep the computer secure, other than good browsing habits, updates, and a couple of other settings.

Lepefe

May 1, 2022
Please, I have cmd_fw_installer_138430009_eb.exe (5,578kb), file version/product version 12.2.2.8012:

1. Which one is the latest version number of Comodo Firewall?

2. Where can be downloaded the latest free version?

Thks

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
I don't know what distribution you use, but all the ones I could test blocking port 80 brought me problems with updates. Just the necessary rules according to what you use, and use the firewall to deny inbound and outbound. I also think that on Linux there is not much to do to keep the computer secure, other than good browsing habits, updates, and a couple of other settings.

MX-21, Wildflower. Thank you for the heads up :) It breaks some update servers for me as well. Hopefully not going on an endless and futile endeavor here, but I've added the rules below to rectify the issue:

port 80 Linux update rules.png

I agree there's not much to do with Linux to keep it secure, although I've Apparmored my browsers and Network Manager, encrypted the home partition, and of course use UFW with default-deny out/In restrictions.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021

Lepefe

May 1, 2022
Try here:

Thks, but that's the link I downloaded (cmd_fw_installer_138430009_eb.exe 5,578kb, file version/product version 12.2.2.8012).
But I'm not sure if this is the latest, because I remember, time ago, a newest version was found in a link at the old forum. And the old forum was deleted.
Please, I just would like to reconfirm the latest version number and link.
Thks again

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Thks, but that's the link I downloaded (cmd_fw_installer_138430009_eb.exe 5,578kb, file version/product version 12.2.2.8012).
But I'm not sure if this is the latest, because I remember, time ago, a newest version was found in a link at the old forum. And the old forum was deleted.
Please, I just would like to reconfirm the latest version number and link.
Thks again

I think Cruelsister will know the best link for the latest free version. Sorry, I don't know of anything better.

Reactions: russ0408

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
A few months ago I installed commodo Internet Security but after some time my ram usage started getting too high due to which I had to uninstall commodo. I fail to realize that this is an old issue but the company has yet to fix it. Have any of you experienced this high ram usage issue?
Comodo is a lightweight product, when I used it I never had problems with high ram consumption and disk consumption, it only loses out to webroot and panda free for ram consumption, other than that it is the lightest AV I have used.(y)

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Please, I have cmd_fw_installer_138430009_eb.exe (5,578kb), file version/product version 12.2.2.8012:

1. Which one is the latest version number of Comodo Firewall?

2. Where can be downloaded the latest free version?

Thks
Although there was another build of CF released through their forum, it was never pushed out as an automatic update. Personally on my production system I never ever install a build that isn't directly pushed out by Comodo through the automatic update function. That being said, i use the same build as you do.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
A few months ago I installed commodo Internet Security but after some time my ram usage started getting too high due to which I had to uninstall commodo. I fail to realize that this is an old issue but the company has yet to fix it. Have any of you experienced this high ram usage issue?
The major difference between CIS and CF is that CIS has the included on-demand scanner. Personally I don't suggest using CIS; CF already has an on access CloudAV, and as the detection rate with the AV isn't top shelf by any means why burden the system with it? The strength of Comodo is Containment + Firewall and is a strong defense.

So although the use of CIS vs CF may or may not have resulted in the issue that you had, I would be surprised if it would repeat with just CF on board (which really just sits quietly on the system until it has to kill malware).

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Slightly OT but this has me thinking about picking CF up again. Issue is I find myself having to manually whitelist some Asus OEM software from Containment and set Edge Rules to allow outbound to port 53,443,1900 and 5353 makes it a bit tedious. The ruleset to set edge as Web browser seems to still show these blocks. Maybe it's having filtering IPV6 enabled but still the case whether I do that or not. Maybe I just need to use Firefox or something else instead with Comodo. Anyway, it's not that complicated and glad CF still rocks. Hopefully that promised updated release this summer with come to fruition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trident

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.