Panda Free Antivirus

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm bored so I'm looking at AV protection options and wondering what MT folk have to say about these two highly rated products. Please note especially any issues you've had installing/uninstalling either of these products.

Edit: Also, please include any feedback about privacy policies. :D

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Wich game? Im currently running comodo firewall on cs settings + microsoft defender on default + edge with emsisoft extension

Yeah would like to have something lighter than MD, but most avs set https scanning of their own, and i want to have adguards only..i used qihoo in the past, but in daily stuff i do i did not see much difference
It's Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege on Steam. After launching the game on Steam it launches Uplay which auto logs in, checks for updates then after a few seconds it runs BattleEye Anti-Cheat which probably checks all my running programs and other related things for a few more seconds and then finally I see the splash screen of the game and a couple of seconds later the game launches in full screen.
On my PC with Defender, it takes around 45-50 seconds for this to happen. With Comodo, ESET, Panda it takes around 30-33 seconds on average. I'll check out Kaspersky Free next, which I am expecting not to slow down the launching of this particular game either.
Anyway, don't just take my words for it because AVs tend to run differently on different hardware and mine isn't a high-end PC either. It's a pretty good custom-built budget PC. So if you don't notice any slowdowns, then no need to change your config. If you decide to explore other products, then better keep a system backup image first. Some products are terrible at uninstalling themselves leaving many residuals behind.
Also, about your issue with HTTPS scanning, as far as I know, except Bitdefender Free all other products which have the feature give you the option to disable it.

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
just like panda , comodo leaves a lot of unwanted stuff behind after uninstall , even after usage of their official uninstaller tool offered on their forum. like legacy regkeys which CANNOT be removed : if you do a scan afterwards with Registar registry manager , you will be shocked with the amount of stuff left behind still. , installation folders ( often hidden ) but if you need too choose , get comodo firewall with meghans settings....

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
After attempting to blast WV2.73 + CF on a test system for about 4 months (to no avail) beginning late last year, since April I installed the pair on my production systems. Not only have I not noted any conflicts between them, in terms of efficiency the sum of the parts seems to be greater than the whole.

As to the new version with the FW and HIPS, so far (no offense meant to WV) I can't justify the overlap of these additions, so when the final version 3 is released I'll probably stick with the base application.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
After attempting to blast WV2.73 + CF on a test system for about 4 months (to no avail) beginning late last year, since April I installed the pair on my production systems. Not only have I not noted any conflicts between them, the sum of the parts seems to be greater than the whole.

As to the new version with the FW and HIPS, so far (no offense meant to WV) I can't justify the overlap of these additions, so when the final version 3 is released I'll probably stick with the base application.
I wondered about the additional components. If WV 2.73's malware protection is identical to 3.01, there would be no need for the additional HIPS or firewall components. I've found no conflicts at all in them, but could at some point decide to drop back to 2.73.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Suppose a group of toddlers broke into our quiet, peaceful office.
You can either stand in front of the entrance door to stop them from entering, or you can lead them to the sandbox in the yard and let them play.
Many av software and comodo are in the framework of security software, but it is difficult to compare them because they are slightly different disciplines.
And @oldschool should be well aware of that.:D

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I haven't used Panda. However, I can say that Comodo Firewall + FortiClient has been great for me. I turn off Comodo's web protection and then make sure to install the web filter for FortiClient with the a/v. I have applied hardening settings to the a/v. Haven't had any issues, and I suspect the coverage is very good. I know the web filter works very well, and I have hardened it too...

Comodo a-v is probably as good as Comodo Firewall at least, but Comodo FW + FortiClient I think would test better and should I believe test better than Panda, also...

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
just like panda , comodo leaves a lot of unwanted stuff behind after uninstall , even after usage of their official uninstaller tool offered on their forum. like legacy regkeys which CANNOT be removed : if you do a scan afterwards with Registar registry manager , you will be shocked with the amount of stuff left behind still. , installation folders ( often hidden ) but if you need too choose , get comodo firewall with meghans settings....
Use HIbit Uninstaller to remove these programs when and if possible and it will remove all that left over junk.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
haven't used Panda. However, I can say that Comodo Firewall + FortiClient has been great for me.
Do you still use free version of forticlient?

Which is one reason I'll probably stick with MD. I don't want a bunch of junk on my incredibly fast ;) HDD.
In this situation it wont hurt to use comodo firewalll (CS) on side of MD. It just works better for me than hard configurator with the games i play

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
It's Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege on Steam. After launching the game on Steam it launches Uplay which auto logs in, checks for updates then after a few seconds it runs BattleEye Anti-Cheat which probably checks all my running programs and other related things for a few more seconds and then finally I see the splash screen of the game and a couple of seconds later the game launches in full screen.
On my PC with Defender, it takes around 45-50 seconds for this to happen. With Comodo, ESET, Panda it takes around 30-33 seconds on average. I'll check out Kaspersky Free next, which I am expecting not to slow down the launching of this particular game either.
Anyway, don't just take my words for it because AVs tend to run differently on different hardware and mine isn't a high-end PC either. It's a pretty good custom-built budget PC. So if you don't notice any slowdowns, then no need to change your config. If you decide to explore other products, then better keep a system backup image first. Some products are terrible at uninstalling themselves leaving many residuals behind.
Also, about your issue with HTTPS scanning, as far as I know, except Bitdefender Free all other products which have the feature give you the option to disable it.
did you ever settle on any ? searching atm a alternative to MD for similiar reasons.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Panda scored some time ago top notch in independent tests, but since Panda was taken over by WatchGuard Technologies their free product started to decline in detection. I remember some marketing communication in which the Panda Cloud AV would be incorporated into the "Watchguard cloud product line". This could explain its mediocre protection against recent malware.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.