Advice Request COMODO FW with NVT

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Hey everyone. Im was thinking a config with NVT and CFW(CS's settings).
We have 2 options here:
1) with hips ON and auto-sandbox off
2)with hips off and auto-sandbox off

Tell me guys your thoughts and suggestions :)

Reactions: Av Gurus

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
If you go with CS´s settings it´s none of above.
HIPS off and autosandbox on it should be.
Why change something that´s proven to work?

*Edit*
Actually i can´t see why use NVT at all (not to say there are no reasons i have´nt found). CFW with CS`s setting does, as far as i understand, the same job as NVT!?
Add a MBR immunizer and/or optional AV if you like. Otherwise i´m pretty certain CFW configured as CS is enough for most semiexperienced users.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

CFW + ERP is redundant and useless, i wont use this. CFW is strong enough alone and can easily be tweaked to become better than an anti-exe. ERP will afford nothing to CFW, it even doesn't have dll/driver protection (CFW have them).

As if you have a car with a Porsche motor (CFW) then add a Volvo engine (ERP) expecting to get faster :D

Last edited by a moderator:

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
CFW + ERP is redundant and useless, i wont use this. CFW is strong enough alone and can easily be tweaked to become better than an anti-exe. ERP will afford nothing to CFW, it even doesn't have dll/driver protection (CFW have them).

As if you have a car with a Porsche motor (CFW) then add a Volvo engine (ERP) expecting to get faster :D

HEY!!
What´s wrong with Volvo?? :p

Reactions: Rengar

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
is autosandbox better than hips or the opossite?

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
is autosandbox better than hips or the opossite?
I´m not qualified to say one is better than the other. I use autosandbox and it´s working great. Used HIPS previously but think it needed to much attention. Like it the way it is now, quiet and effective. My melody!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I prefer NVT ERP over comodo firewall.
It is simply designed, it does what it says, and it says what it does.
It has an easily manageable vulnerable processes list that provides significant exploit protection.
And what's more, it actually works on my system without conflicting with other security software.
Every time I try out another solution, I always come back to NVT ERP.
I find Comodo to be mysterious and unpredictable, whereas NVT ERP is like a reliable old friend who is always there when you need him. It's less glamorous, but I don't care.

D

Deleted member 178

Using ERP alone isn't enough for actual threats, it doesn't block attacks via memory , dlls injections and drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Using ERP alone isn't enough for actual threats, it doesn't block attacks via memory , dlls injections and drivers.
could you provide some details on how comodo does that?

also: rogue dlls can't get on the system unless one of these two happens:
1 a malicious file executes on disk
2 a vulnerable process is exploited
ERP covers both of the above, so where is the hole in its protection?
ditto for memory attacks and drivers

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Ah, I think I understand what you mean now.
You mean that ERP is not Smart Object Blocker, which can put even dlls and drivers in a locked down state.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
NVT ERP does prevent applications from running files in memory. However, it does not prevent insecure loading of libraries and similar stuff.
I would say it provides partial mitigation in all those areas.

For instance, rundll32 is on the vulnerable processes list in order to prevent loading of rogue dlls.
Other items on the list will mitigate the ability to download and register dlls or drivers.

The user can populate the list to the point that it doesn't leave much room for surprises.

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Not necessarily. It depends on how the DLL is loaded although the developer that makes such mistakes is equally guilty in my opinion. NVT ERP is very limited compared to C HIPS anyway.

Reactions: Rengar

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Not necessarily. It depends on how the DLL is loaded although the developer that makes such mistakes is equally guilty in my opinion. NVT ERP is very limited compared to C HIPS anyway.
Indeed, COMODO is a suite with many components, as opposed to ERP, which focuses on one thing: anti-exe.
COMODO's complexity is both its strength and its downfall. If it works, there is nothing like it. And if it doesn't, nothing will frustrate you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.